Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Lasso this and lasso that.........????

3DSprite opened this issue on Feb 28, 2000 ยท 10 posts

Gromit posted Tue, 29 February 2000 at 7:43 AM

First of all, I used to try using the lasso tool or other selection tools to cut out an object precisely. I quit doing that, because I found it is much easier and more flexible to do the following: Cut out the image roughly with the lasso or other selection tool; Invert the selection and delete everything else on the layer; Add a layer mask, setting it to Reveal All; Using the painting tools, paint on the layer mask with black to mask out the areas you want to delete, paint with white to un-mask any areas where you went too far. When you've got it like you want it, you can remove the layer mask and accept the changes. I use the history brush a lot for retouching and restoring photos. If you want to make someone look younger, for example, do the following: Do a heavy Gaussian blur on the image, more than it takes to blur out any wrinkles. In the history palette, click on the state BEFORE you applied the blur. The blur will disappear. In the history palette, click in the little window just to the left of the "Gaussian blur" state. This will make the blur the source for the history brush. Click on the history brush in the Tools Palette. Set the opacity to a low value, about 15% or even less. You can always set it higher if you need to later. Select a soft-edged brush that's appropriate to the size of the areas you want to work in, i.e. wrinkles around the eyes, nose and mouth. Paint in the wrinkled areas. This will gradually blur out the wrinkles and smooth them in to the rest of the face. Gromit