Forum: Fractals

Subject: Renderosity's "Fine Art Prints"

SeanPratz opened this issue on Jul 19, 2002 ยท 10 posts

SeanPratz posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 10:56 PM

To: Sean Pratz

Hi Sean, We got the print specification from our print partner.
Images submitted for print need to be exactly as the specifications state.

I've submitted a few more screen grabs.
Your image information on the right and the image information from a print that meets the guidelines on the left.
Might not be the best example since your is a landscape and the one on the left is a portrait but I think it will help you understand what I need.

Notice how the one on the left says Width = 28" and Height = 34"
Yours shows Width = 11.333 and Height = 9.333"

The images are printing at 28"x34" not 11.33"x9.333"

I understand that it can grow to the 28"x34" from 300dpi...like you have it but thats not the way the printer asked for the images.

You should be able to open your image in Photoshop or whatever paint program you are using and change the DPI or PPI to 100 which will cause the dimensions to be listed as 34"x28" at 100dpi.

Thats what we require.
Please re-upload your image when you have it within the guidelines.

Thanks,
Clint Hawkins
Renderosity MarketPlace Manager
www.Renderosity.com

To: ClintH (Renderosity)

No.

Now, to be fair, I submitted my image in TIF format. That may be something his software doesn't work well with. It's also possible that Clint doesn't know that 2800x3400 equals 2800x3800 no matter how you slice it and that DPI (or PPI) is solely dependent on the dimensions at which the picture is printed.

Also to be fair, the screen shot he attached in his last message backs up what he says. But 2800x3400 is 2800x3400. Period. And I've got better things to do than argue the point.

Now, I could very well go back into my paint program and reset things so as to make Clint happy, but as far as the printers are concerned all they need is a 2800x3400 image. The fact that they "simplified" their requirements so that Renderosity marketplace staff could understand them has only served to make said staff question anything that doesn't say "100 DPI" in whatever program they happen to be using.

Good thing I didn't send in a 1000 DPI image suitable for printing at 2.8"x3.4". Oh, wait. I did. I also sent a 10DPI image for printing at 280"x340".

I'm not going to jump through hoops to satisfy someone who says he's been in the computer business for 22 years but who doesn't understand what DPI means. That someone could very well be responsible for you buying a 33 DPI image, or worse, selling one with your name attached to it!

My advice: If you want to sell your prints, do it somewhere else. I've had better luck in the "real world" than online anyway. I would also suggest that Renderosity find better educated staff.