Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Multi-Processing, RAM usage in Poser5

operaguy opened this issue on Jul 28, 2002 ยท 39 posts

wolf359 posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 5:36 PM

">Being a lifelong Mac person, it did not occur to me that I could render Poser in the background and do other tasks as well. Currently, if rendering, Poser completely takes over my Mac under OS 9. I can't even get to the Finder unless I cancel the render. I wonder what the reality of multitasking will be when Poser5 comes out for MacOS X?<" Operguy: first i totally agree with your broad view of placing importance on getting your final output/render as fast as possible without the distraction of platform loyalty. secondly Poser5 like any other OSX native application will run its own dynamically assigned protected memory space so indeed you will be able 'jump out" during a render and safely perform other tasks like web surfing and yes even CD burning I routinely render very processor intensive Cloth, water, fur and volumetric smoke simulations in MAXON's Cinema 4DXL 7.3 and simply hide the render in the background and move on to something else. this is NOT possible in OS9 because OS9 is not a modern operating system that can dynamically assiign memory on an as needed basis. therefore OS 9 is not a suitable for real world 3D and film production rendering especially for us who only have One machine and can NOT afford to have it held hostage for 12 hour renders during a busy work day. for that you need OSX win XPro or Win2K pro forget OS9 for serious 3D work!! its a dead OS system with no future.!! good luck :-)

My website

YouTube Channel