Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: bandwidth thief discovered

c1rcle opened this issue on Aug 09, 2002 ยท 85 posts

jade_nyc posted Fri, 09 August 2002 at 1:01 PM

Chad - you really need to look into copyright law a little more closely. If I create something and offer it for download it is mine. I decide whether it can be used commercially or non-commercially, whether it can be re-distributed at any place other than my own site and whether it can be sold. If anyone does not like the restrictions that I place on my creative property - they don't have to download. Any artwork that I create is mine. I post it at my web site and it is my decision whether it is posted at any other web sites. No one has the right to post my artwork any place else without my prior permission. As for direct-linking to files that is a definite no-no. How many free sites have either folded or switched to a subscription site because of bandwidth problems in the past two years? A website does not get any 'hits' if you direct link to a file so your point that the guy is driving traffic to your site is baloney. And he's stealing bandwidth. And some people PAY for the bandwidth they use. It's just plain wrong. What this person is doing is driving people to his/her site without having created anything himself. He or she is getting the hits and not the people who actually created the items he offered for download. It is wrong and illegal both here in the US and abroad.