Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Let's hear it for Eirian and Rubio

crisjon1950 opened this issue on Aug 18, 2002 ยท 35 posts

squiddy posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 11:40 AM

Attached Link: http://muse.widener.edu/~egr0001/REDoctoral/Criticism.html

*** Squiddy, you have a valid point somewhere in your message. You might want to look up the definition of "Constructive Criticism" *** i assert that you and others simply do not recognize true constructive criticism. for criticism to be usefully constructive, it should be frank and honest, not watered down to keep from hurting someone's feelings. "constructive" does **not** imply a pat on the back. my definition of constructive criticism is pointing out all the perceived flaws in a work, so that the artist becomes aware of them and may improve his/her piece and skills. this is precisely the feedback i have given you, crisjon. i see a lot of room for improvement in this render, and i took the time to point out very specifically what i felt did not work. i feel i have made several valid points in my critique. an example of non-constructive criticism would be if i just left a rude comment like **"this sucks"**, without further explanation. the problem is that people here at renderosity ask for "constructive criticism", yet when they actually get **real** criticism, they neither recognize nor make good use of it. often, they get defensive, which is a pretty lame and childish way to respond to criticism if you ask me. If you put up work to be criticized, you need to be resilient enough to take the criticism you get and work with it to improve your art. most of the people here asking for critique seem to want or expect only praise. sure, i could have replied with **"Nice hair, love the pose, keep up the great work crisjon1950!!"**. but for what purpose? a reply like that might help your ego and make you feel good for a few minutes, but that's not what art critiques are for. i like what Lyrra said the other day about too many posts in the gallery: *"A better way to ensure less posting is to actually _use_ the rating system in a meaningful fashion. If I actually _rated_ the images that I viewed according to my reaction - well I would have made a LOT of enemies. (and possibly have driven some lackluster artists to actually work for a change)"* i say amen to that sister! no artist community should have to tolerate artists filling the galleries with "one day wonders" and "works in progress" that never get improved upon after their first viewing. crisjon, i would love to see you to take this piece, and work with it over the next month or so to turn it into a real work of art. it has potential, but you need to invest time in it. considering improving this piece rather than just moving on and stamping out 10 more just like it... ...sQuiddY...