Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Let's hear it for Eirian and Rubio

crisjon1950 opened this issue on Aug 18, 2002 ยท 35 posts

Kiera posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 5:01 PM

I am afraid I have to agree with Squiddy in his perception of critique, if not with the tone of his critique.

I want to be a better artist, and I expect a community of artists to offer me real critique on my work. Sure, half my gallery is full of empty pinups done to practice postwork and lighting, but those are the images that get the most attention. My SERIOUS work rarely gets any views, much less constructive critique. The pieces in my gallery that I feel truly represent me as an artist and as a human being happen to be the very same pieces that no one wants to look at or discuss.

Now why is that?

Because everyone is so afraid of stepping on each other's toes, we have been reduced to a community of mutual ego stroking. It's so much easier to say "great lighting!" than it is to say "great lighting, but your composition is distracting."

I deeply appreciate all the comments I get on my work, regardless of the content, but at the same time I can't help but wish that more people would really look at my pieces and tell me what I am messing up (beyond the occasional cross-eyed Vicky or missed joint fix error.)

I admit I am guilty of empty critiques as well, because it doesn't seem acceptable around here to state your true opinion of a piece. Anyone who does so is branded "mean" or a "troll." Or, people go and study their galleries, looking for ways to rip it apart--not in an effort to help, but as revenge.

The point of being part of an artist community is to provide mutual support for the improvement of our work. Without honest criticism, none of us can exceed our current artistic and technical limitations. One might as well as for feedback from mom and dad, who of course will love everything you do.]

Just my .02.