Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser really that bad ?

devongrrl opened this issue on Aug 21, 2002 ยท 50 posts

HaiGan posted Thu, 22 August 2002 at 4:37 AM

Oh go on, I'll add something too, why not follow the herd? ;) I'm another one who started with Bryce (which I found really hard to figure out until everything suddenly clicked), and after that Poser wasn't too hard to get going with (although I'm still a beginner when it comes to the full range of features the program includes). It's more of a physical interface than a computer interface, for me. As people have already said, you have to think like an artist (or a movie director), not a programmer (or a mathematician). My son (who's 9 now) seems to have no difficulty with the the basics of selecting figures, posing them and moving them around to make a scene, and all I did was sit him down at the PC and let him play with Poser on his own. It tends to suggest to me that Poser IS intuitive, but only if you haven't already become used to working in other ways. I've been trying out some of the other 3D modelling applications that have an interface somewhat closer to the various 2D computer image packages, and in many cases it's just 'duh?' despite having used Paintshop and some CAD stuff, because it's so different to Poser. . They just don't do things the same way. It's apples and oranges- people might prefer one or the other but you can't really say one is 'better'. I guess Poser is really an entry-level application, though, so far as 3D software goes, and if it really is that different then its value as a training aid is dubious. If you've already got access to top-of-the-range software and know how to use it then there isn't much reason to use Poser other than to take advantage of the huge range of ready-to-use models, poses and light sets available for it... Actually, that's a pretty good reason! :^)