Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Partition against present Poser 5 Activation Security System:

WiNC opened this issue on Sep 13, 2002 ยท 119 posts

MGCJerry posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:22 AM

I'm suer someone already cracked it... The easiest way is "pre-loaders". Though inheretly unstable, they are possible. I'm pretty sure someone has already written a "pre-loader" that fools Poser to think they are using the same drive when in fact, the loader can be used on any computer regardless of the main drive. These do exist, though not all for piracy reasons, but they are feasble even with hardware dongles... I've used loaders for helping debug programs I'm helping with, and even a few games to help me get past a certian level. That said, I dont like the thought of dongles, I dont have any available space and imagine the hassle if you lost it... Unless if they utilize my audio input, go for it it is the only open port on my comp. I'm one of the types of users I may use one HD to boot, then 30min later, I'm on a new drive, but poser has its own dedicated drive. It wouldnt be so bad if poser kept to the drive it is installed on. I have 8 HD's total (3 in my comp and others networked and are removable). Right now, I'm on a comp of mine that has 2 system drives for this box and another comp of mine. CD dongles are just as bad... many times I listen to music on my computer while worknig and unfortunately I cannot put another drive in my computer so that means I will need to quit listening to music while I work (except another floppy). These things are also easy to bypass... I had a DOS game once that loaded many of its data off a CD though I spent 150MB to do the full install, so I copied the 500MB data file over and bypassed it myself an easy ini file edit was all it took. Needless to say, I've seem many loaders, crackers, editors while on my search to look for cheat codes in some games I bought espeically after I beat them and these "cracks" are a dime a dozen. This point was intended to say that regardless of your procedures it will get cracked, not how, but when... However, dont get me wrong I register apps (the serial, number my name, & email) that have free upgrades or ones I want to register. I've already got a free update to a program I own and that was nice, but its a program I use more than poser. I dont see myself even upgrading to XP because it uses your hardware config for identification... So, that means I'm at Win2k till I go linux. Hence, M$ wont get any money off my for buying XP because I dont want the hassle. I will not knowingly buy any software (espcially if I spend a weeks paycheck on it) to have to rely on the company for the stability of the progam if I can install it... My list: Dongles - Bad Challenge code and verification - Bad Serials - OK (what can I say, I'm used to them and I'm sure most users are) Phone Home - VERY BAD (all non-critial system connections are blocked by my firewall) Even Poser4's network broadcast is blocked by my firewall. less active connections = less open thing to get bombed by a script kiddie. No serial - Ok but I'd prolly have to give my DNA, SSN, school records, my pet, blood signed contract, left arm and left leg. Most likey I wont get Poser5 because of the time hassle with the way I run my computers. So though, Poser 4 is doning what I want it to do. Suggestion to CL if they keep their current system: I'm sure most users install Poser on a separate drive and or partition which doesnt get formatted during the usual format and reinstall of Windows. In this event, make it where it uses the drive it is on for the challenge code. Yes, its still a hassle for people who only have 1 HD, but you wont need to deal with people who have to contact you just because Windows F'ed up, which usually requires a format. Poser4 has stayed on the same drive and put in any computer I use (the drive is partioned into 2 drives one for poser, and one for my stuff). Thus I have one code, and the code will work regardless of the computer I use (so I'll only need another code for my laptop). I understand that you want to protect your software, but the harder you work to put security in, the faster it will fall still leaving the legit users lined up on hold and sending 1000's of emails a day (essentially alienating them and becoming a bitter company that you begin to see your users as a chore). Tosses 2 pennies into the hat I hope I made sense with all this... -MGCJerry Fellow Poser4 User/Addict