Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If CL's new security measures for Poser 5 bother you consider this...

farang opened this issue on Sep 13, 2002 ยท 28 posts

shadowcat posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 6:09 PM

Comparing shoplifters to software pirates is inacurate due to the fact that shoplifters take tangible item that can be inventoried & calculated. Revenue loss due to warez on the otherhand is impossible to calulate. Say a person steals something that they would never buy, the store really is out money as they had to pay for their stock. On the software side of this person 1 "shares" with person 2, if person 2 would not have bought poser on their own for no reason, is the software company really out? Now I'm not saying that software merchants aren't losing money due to warez. But barbarellany has a point, how much are they losing to dissatified customers? At hat point do customers say "enough!" CL security measures by themselves don't bother me, but I worry about more companies following suit. If these extreme measures become acceptable, how much more of a hassle will it be when a HD crashes, when you must register ALL your software. It's enough of a pain just to install everything, add to that challenge/responses & dongles. CL promises to fix things if they go bankrupt, but what about the companies that follow? The big problem is that there is no easy solution to this that can satisfy both parties.