Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ offers hope

sparkel opened this issue on Sep 14, 2002 ยท 33 posts

jval posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 10:15 PM

...well right now this DAZ program is vaporware :-) Ummm... no it's not. Vaporware is a non-existant program that has been hyped well in advance of its release. Generally the release date arrives with no program. Then the cycle repeats itself again and again. Sometimes vaporware is a strategy to reduce competitors' sales. Sometimes they are just testing for market response. Sometimes it is because the programmers just are never able to produce a decent product. None of the above applies in this instance. Firstly, the only reason DAZ mentioned it was because they have indicated public disatisfaction with Poser 5. Being an ethical company they felt it best to divulge this information in the interest of full disclosure so that the public would understand that DAZ has a strongly vested interest in P5's EULA that goes beyond the obvious. Secondly, they did not say that this program would definitely be offered in the future. Instead, they said they were seriously considering the development of such a program. (actually, I'm going from memory here but I'm pretty sure that's what they said) Thirdly, they did not say it would be equivalent to Poser- only that it might be considered to be a competitive product to Poser. Lastly, they gave absolutely no indication of what their proposed program may or may not do compared to Poser. Now even with the wildest stretch of imagination this could not possibly be construed as "hype"- a prime ingredient of vaporware. My guess is that it will not provide all the features of Poser 5. My hope is that it will offer all the features necessary to someone who modifies, poses and textures figures with the intention of exporting said figures to an external program such as Bryce, Vue or any number of other renderers. If we are lucky this will not require a state of the art computer and if we are really lucky it will not include an onerous copy protection system, if any. The real danger here, assuming that DAZ does indeed release this program, is that our wild dreams and speculations will become so extravagant that, no matter what the program turns out to be, it will fail to meet our over blown expectations. Certainly the possibility of such a program excites me. But I won't get excited about much else until further information becomes available. - Jack