Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ offers hope

sparkel opened this issue on Sep 14, 2002 ยท 33 posts

Magix-101 posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:29 PM

Hey Soulhuntre. Actually I was saying you will not need to export...I wasn't suggesting that Poser would ever take on Max or lightwave or would ever want to. Basically a huge amount of Poser users are hobbiests and renderers...and I am sure CLabs want to keep it that way. Why? because quite simply there are a lot of them and they buy lots of extras, because they like making artwork maninly...many of them dont know what a caustics or photon mapping renderer is...or could care less. Now there are a lot of people in this market and they spend a lot of money, albeit in small amounts. Thats why Daz and Renderosity have done so well, to make Poser a fully pro app that has appeal for the pros would kill off this market and CLabs know this only too well, as does Daz and R'osity. In fact Chad from Daz wrote ages ago that Zygote sponsored Daz to build exclusively for Poser because they saw the market was there, he also said they would never do that for Maya because there is no market there...it appears to be the same for Max and Lightwave as well. So to make Poser a heavy duty battle ready app for the pros like Max would be suicide and they know it, and I never suggested that. What I was saying was the Firefly renderer is a step in the right direction and that when its tweaked and built on you wont necessarily need to export to Bryce and Vue...provided the facilty to have environments is there in Poser...which it will be in time...thats all. On the contrary Alias Wavefront have often shown signs of trying to crack this market that Poser has (by being a sponsor at R'osity, halving the price of Maya and releasing Maya learning edition and so on, they want a slice of this market..I know that for a fact .) It seems obvious that there are more hobbiest than pros and that means selling products cheaper to more users and keep the app relatively simple, the pros already have Max and Maya, so why try to sell Poser to them...they'll never buy it. But also as far as Discreet and Newtek are concerned...you can only sell so many upgrades to the pros before you have to start looking elsewhere to sell your products, and you can bet they will also look at hobbiests and semi pros and thats where Poser is at its strongest...so why change? Nope Poser will never compete with Max...nor would it want to, as far as I understand it's going in a different direction, and thats what it needs to do. Cheers Harvey