Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Partition against present Poser 5 Activation Security System:

WiNC opened this issue on Sep 13, 2002 · 119 posts

soulhuntre posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:39 PM

"But don't you find it ironic that although this scheme is intended to combat illegal activity it actually encourages this behaviour in the situation you suggest?"

Ironic? Not really - I find it to be the only answer to what I consider to be a question that is too hypothetical for me to worry about. I also find it a hypocrisy to say in the same post "it's already been cracked!" and "what if you go out of business".  It seems obvious to me that the answer will be to use the crack.

I don't see it as encouraging anything at all, but let's assume it does. The purpose of protection is to reduce the revenue lost to piracy. That's it. The only purpose. Even a system that might encourage piracy in some sectors is a success if overall the reduction results in increased sales.

Enough companies use this type of system to indicate that there is such a benefit -a dn that it is worth the effort.

"There is NO WAY to do this with Poser 5 because of the idiotic "protection", which I read in a previous post has already been hacked. I own Photoshop and Adobe Pagemager, which are on the SAME drive and which BOTH cost more than Poser 5. Yet, NEITHER of them have a ridiculous "protection" scheme."

I am not sure about this - is the response code stored in the Poser directory or in the registry? If it is in the registry then you won't have any problem at all with Poser in a  removable drive.

if there WAS a problem, simply store Poser on the hard drive of each machine and keep the Runtimes ont he removable... P5 allows this to happen easily and that would also solve your problem.

CL has already specifically stated multiple codes are acceptable for this use.

"However, I do believe that the "I don't care crowd" is always going to be more prevalent than those that do. Since most people will agree with anything - as is evident in a number of threads here - the odds are that the "vocal minority" (as we have been called) will be forced to accept this type of behavior until all of the "personal" aspects are removed from personal computers."

I won't agree "with anything", in fact I am vocal in opposition to the things that matter to me... and in this case it comes down to a simple question:

Will Poser5 make me more money then it costs me?

The answer is yes. Poser5 has already created more value for my company than it's purchase price. If CL goes dead tomorrow and Poser5 never fires up again... it's still been a net win for me.

To me, that means it was worth it.