Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If you think that Judy is ugly...

drkmo opened this issue on Sep 16, 2002 · 33 posts

soulhuntre posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 1:59 AM

**auralia - ** "Also, I'm really not sure how general the studies actually were -- did they study different groups around the world, or only people of certain groups?"

If I remember correctly it was cross cultural. Some studies also indicate that infants have the same preferences... which would lead to an instinct/genetic imprinting theory.

auralia - "There's definitely a lot of interesting processing that happens when people see faces. :)"

Yes there is - it is intimately tied to a wide variety of factors. The most important thing to realize is that the fiction that beauty is defined ONLY by media/culture is incorrect.

A combination theory is reasonable. Women are shaped as they are partially due to the needs of child bearing. Men obviously would find evolutionary advantage in mating with women who were good child bearers - and the cycle feeds on itself.

Tirjasdyn - "I still say not everyone can be a supermodel

Perhaps the hostility come from the fact that those of us not up to supermodel status are going to be alone for the rest of our lives....of course I've already beat evolution because I have a daughter...still little comfort in the companionship area."

No, not everyone can be a supermodel... but certainly that isn't an issue in the evaluation of what is beautiful to someone. It is almost a given that the average will never be they standard - specifically because it is strongly possible the attraction to beauty is to secure a potential evolutionary advantage in breeding partner.

Despite this most people manage to have fulfilling lives and relationships - even though they are not supermodels or stunningly beautiful. But I can't see why there is any reason to be angry about it.

giljoe - "All he has to do now is mention how high heals make a woman's legs look alot sexier, and he can just reel you on in."

But, but, they do :)