Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue4 Warez copy

Rimkopf opened this issue on Sep 15, 2002 ยท 37 posts

ShadowWind posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 11:54 PM

I'm against warez, but I'm not a witch hunter either. I try to help out whoever asks because it's not always a foregone conclusion that they pirated the software because they ask a simple question. I'm with Sacred Rose on that one. I bought every single one of my programs and have even over bought (the extra Vue vegetation) which I never got my money back on those already in Vue 4 after repeated emails. I didn't even get a reply. But that's another topic. The whole intellectual property law as it relates to software needs to be rehauled, at least in the US. The license agreement which supposedly deems all these acts "illegal" are usually written so poorly that a lawyer could make mincemeat of them in 5 seconds. Not to mention the fraudelent nature of which they are presented (after or during the install) where honest users are pretty much cohersed into agreement after spending their money. It's a scare tactic by software companies to keep software from going the way of books, movies, etc. I hope someone does finally challenge the license agreement via a class action suit in court and then we'll finally get a ruling. Although, I doubt I'll ever see that, because the companies know that such a ruling would probably be against them and ruin their scare tactic forever. The threat is the same as "Not for Resale" and yet you see hundreds of items on Ebay, garage sales, flea markets and no one says a thing. So the idea is while the creator of the license agreement assumes that the document is legal, it may not be in reality, and is certainly not in many countries. And don't get me started on demos. As a developer, I know full well that demos aren't always a good indication of the real software. The demos are a promo, advertising, anything wrong with the real software is conveniently disabled unless you buy the real version, and then you find out. Demos are created by marketing people, not by developer's wishes many times, and so... My 2c