Forum: Writers

Subject: Halloween Challenge

DMFW opened this issue on Sep 05, 2002 ยท 78 posts

DMFW posted Tue, 24 September 2002 at 6:44 PM

Well, the challenge has certainly been taken up with a vengence! I've enjoyed all the pieces on this thread. cambert's story sent a genuine shiver down my spine. I knew something was going to happen but for the punch to come so close to the end was very effective. I can visualise the suddenly opening eyes as one of those scenes in a horror film that catch you unawares and make you jump out of your skin. And I loved the subtle ambiguous threat of the last word "Stephen". Makes you wonder what's going to happen next... I would probably have been caught out by jagill's cannibals. There are so many apparently meaningless email addresses in the world that I'd never have thought to try reversing the letters. If I'm feeling paranoid I will now! (Mind you, I can't believe no one ever thought Count Alucard wasn't a strange name in one of those hoary old vampire movies!) mboncher's zombie tale was most effective. I wonder why zombies always seem more plausible with a French flavour? Must be something to do with the associations of voodoo and Haiti, I guess (even though this story isn't set there). Butte Des Morts conjoured up an unheathy fear of the dark that I think is a useful ingredient in any Halloween story.