Forum: Writers

Subject: Halloween Challenge

DMFW opened this issue on Sep 05, 2002 ยท 78 posts

jagill posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 1:21 PM

I had so much fun with the first story, I thought I'd post another. I'm a big Neil Finn fan and this story was inspired by a line from Edible Flowers, which is why I used Finn in my characters name. 494 Words Mirror Reilly Finn drank, but he hid it quite well. The tax examiner never called in sick, he was prompt, and his work was flawless. Everything else in his life, however, was a mess. He had no friends, no girl, and no social life. After work, Reillys nightly routine would take him to Capitol Crab House or Washington Wok for dinner to go, and when needed, he swung by Arties Liquors for a refill of Dimple Pinch, before walking to his barely furnished downtown efficiency to drink the night away. Washington, D.C. 7:00 A.M. October 31, 2002 The alarm made his brain feel like it was buzzing out of its skull. Reilly smacked the alarm off and made his morning foray into the kitchen. He grabbed a glass from the cupboard, took three headache powders, which he swallowed with three full glasses of water, and then dropped a bagel in the toaster before hitting the shower. The headache powders began to kick-in as Reilly brushed his teeth. He glanced in the mirror realizing how badly he needed to shave. He lathered his shaving brush and rinsed the straight razor with hot water. It was old fashioned, but worked so well Reilly only had to shave every other day. He brought the razor up to his neck and froze. Reilly could sense that his hand was still, but in the mirror, his hand was lifting the razor to his forehead. His reflection drew the razor across his forehead drawing a slow flow of dark red across his face. The face smiled with red stained teeth. Reilly dropped the razor into the sink and covered his face with a towel. He wiped the shaving soap from his face and looked at the towel. It was clean. Then he looked in the mirror at his bloody reflection smiling back. Reilly turned his head right then left... The bloody reflection turned right then left... Reilly turned right again and the reflection stopped, faced Reilly, and said, Boo! He got dressed thinking this was his first hallucination. He considered a shrink before, but knew his abusive father and neglectful foster parents were the ones to blame. Reilly took the same walk to work he had done many times before. He saw the same faces and passed by the same store windows. To see if he was still hallucinating, Reilly stopped and gazed at his reflection in a coffee shop window. The blood had now stained the upper half of his suit. The smiling reflection pointed at Reilly then dragged the finger across its throat. Reilly threw his briefcase at the window startling the customers inside and ran. Twenty feet above, a crane cable broke loose releasing an I-beam. It met Reilly head on, crushing his upper torso. The coffee shop patrons rushed the window and screamed. Someone shouted, Oh my god! He never saw it coming! The reflection looked at Reilly and shook its head as he died.