Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Posin Solutions - question (Curious Labs might want to see this)

WiNC opened this issue on Oct 01, 2002 ยท 82 posts

jval posted Wed, 02 October 2002 at 10:50 AM

WiNC, Yes I would feel annoyed if someone did as you suggested. But I'm not sure that you even read my comments in their entirety. 1) Based on the Posin' website it is not clear to me that they used only the stock poses included with Poser. 2) Poser's primary purpose is no longer the mere posing of figures for use as artists' reference material. I suspect that most Poser users don't use it for this at all. 3) If Posin' is using only stock Poser poses then they are only doing what many Poser users already publicly do. While true that they do not add a background or colour or clothing, etc there is no law that say "art" or reference material has to be good, labour intensive in production, imaginative, completely original, etc, etc, etc Does the Posin' product allow one to create additional poses or adjust lighting or modify character features or augment figures with additional figures and props or change surface textures or expand its features with additional add ons or, or, or...? Unless these features and more are available I think it requires an incredible stretch of the imagination to consider this as any sort of real competition to Poser. If I tried to convince the Poser crowd that Posin' is an adequate substitute for their beloved program I would die of embarrassment as I was laughed out the door. The Posin' stuff isn't even clipart as there would be no point in using the images directly either as cut and paste paper images or as scanned digital insertions. At best it is visual reference material only. One might even argue that they add enhanced value by offering many additional angles thus saving an actual Poser user from expending the effort of twisting a virtual dial. If I were religious I might expect CL to soon receive a copyright infringement lawsuit from God for the unauthorized use of His original designs and models. I mean really, He isn't even given the courtesy of a credit line. Perhaps He will be joined by all the portrait artists, photographers and figure sculptors and they will initiate a class action lawsuit against CL. Ridiculous? Well, there ya go... - Jack Ps. This posting has no legal validity and in fact, is probably illegal. After due and diligent examination it appears that each and every alphabetic character or word is not original to the author but has merely been rearranged in suitable order for easier assimilation. Perhaps it would be if the characters were posed via backwards italicizing or texture mapped with multiple colours. But that's another story... - Jack