Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Just to try to balance things up a bit....

saxon opened this issue on Oct 05, 2002 · 57 posts

soulhuntre posted Sun, 06 October 2002 at 6:15 PM

Jackson - "Try to look at the big picture: We, as a "community" were screwed; we were lied to and used by CL."

I simply don't see it that way. Poser5 was a substantial increase in our abilities. Some bugs were shipped in the release version because there wasn't time to fix them... and some bugs slipped through due to various issues (including mistakes on CL's part).

I am not sure what happened to "the community" because I am not sure what "the community" is. I know us as a collection of individuals - and a whole bunch of us have been using the software with much happiness. So "the community" wasn't screwed... "the community" has a legitimate complaint... one that CL has been busting ass to remedy.

I don't see that as being used either.

***Jackson - "*They used us to get money fast and they are using us as beta testers."

Actually they HAD beta testers, and I have a strong belief that none of the problems that are "show stoppers" showed up in that testing. By CL's own communications with us here we know that several bugs slipped in during the manufacturing process, long after testing ended.

I am not insulted by this, nor an I freaking out because I ship software for a living and I KNOW that on release day there is always a list of bugs that are simply not critical enough to prevent release. That's just the real world. The critical things in Poser 5 worked for the vast majority of users, and the bugs that lipped through have been addressed by the patch in large part.

Jackson -  Soulhuntre and other happy users, you are the lucky ones, but don't you realize you could just as easily been the unlucky ones?

I don't think I am "lucky" - I think far, far more people are using P5 without serious problem than are represented here on this website. I think those with problems are very vocal - maybe with good reason - and the perceptions are skewed.

But let's say I had a system with stability issues - I have P4 available to me and I know CL would have a patch available. I would have gone about my life using P4 and working with their tech support to get it running. My production path would still have been running and I would have been upset but not freaking out.

Jackson -  After all these threads about probelms, you must realize that CL just threw this program out and let the chips fall where they may; they got their money.

No, I don't. I see a problem with some compatibility problems on some systems and I see a program that shipped with some bugs that were mostly addressed by a patch that among other things doubled it's speed. hardly the act of a company that doesn't "care" or just "threw it out there".

There is a reason MS tests on 10's of thousands of systems - and CL doesn't have the resources for that.

Jackson -  So much for "caring" about their customers. And if the issues in my post about the protection scheme are true, that's proof positive CL could give a rat's ass about you or us."

The protection thing is working just fine for me.

If someone computer is having a problem I am happy to try and help... but if they say that "it doesn't work" it is completely legitimate for me to say "yes, it does... it works fine for me".

And yeah, I said >me<. That isn't a bad word ya know. I am not really sure what exactly I am supposed to be doing "for the community".

What, exactly, am I supposed to do to demonstrate my caring for "the community" on this topic? "The community" can expect me to give up Poser5 in a show of solidarity when the community pays my rent. Until then I am going to keep using the best tool for the job.

I sympathize, I help and I contribute. All well and good - but if you expect me to  join in a lynching for something that seems to be working well for the vast majority of users from a company that seems to be working hard to get the other issues fixed as a "community" activity then you can count me out.