Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WTB's State of the Poser Union

Photopium opened this issue on Oct 08, 2002 ยท 14 posts

Bobasaur posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 10:06 PM

"I order to really have the kind of features we need to bring Poser to the next level, what we really need is the next milestone in Personal Computing to unfold."

It appears that you're defining our advancement as something that is based upon technology (dual processors, raytracing on the fly etc.). Although that does impact what we do in some ways, I'd hope that that isn't what defines us. A Nekkid Vicky In A Temple With A Sword is just that, whether we render with FireFly, P4, Lightwave, Bryce, Cinema 4D or whatever. And that's all it is whether we do it in 2 minutes or 200 hours.

I hope our community grows in ways that are completely unrelated to the technology. I've watched people develop their visual storytelling skills through well written critiques and positive suggestions. I've watched Pokeydots learn to create caricatures. I've seen animators begin telling stories in bits and pieces. I've even seen people share in the delight and creativity of using the same charicter to create different adventures (Renderosibee). Obviously the technology used affects each of these areas, but I think the more important thing is that we're feeding each other creatively.

Right now, as an outside observer (I'm on a Mac so P5 isn't an issue) I'm watching people feed each other tech support. That's obviously needed by many right now. It's more fun for me when we're dealing with other issues but I know this is a necessary part of the growth.

In his "Tao of Jeet Kune Do," Bruce Lee said something to the effect of:

"Before I studied Kung Fu a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick. As I studied it, a punch became more than a punch; a kick became more than a kick. As I mastered it a punch became just a punch, a kick became just a kick."

Right now we appear to be studying P5. Everything is "more than" it is, simply because it's new. As we get used to it, it will revert to its proper place and instead of studying P5 we'll be focused on its application. The study of a technology feels, by its very nature, at least somewhat dead. Firefly settings just aren't that exciting. However, once we've got that down, well, I've already seen some hints that people are going farther than they've gone before. That's exciting. That will come, in time.

I don't think the community is dead at all. I don't think Poser is dead. If we (or Poser) were, I wouldn't have had to go through so many messages to get to this thread.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/