Forum: Photography

Subject: Digital vs. Film...?

Wolfsnap opened this issue on Oct 12, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Rork1973 posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 7:31 AM

LOL! :) Honestly, I think that 99% of all digital cameras are just toys for people who are too lazy to learn photography. It's an easy gain at first, but when you get more serious you'll soon notice your shortcommings if you never shot on film with an all manual camera. I had the pleasure of recently trying a Hassie FlexBody with digital back (Heidelberg) and shooting that whole day in a studio the color polaroids for the test shots where all much better than any of the shots we did with the digital back. And at something like $50,000 I think it's a bit dissapointing. I guess it's just a very personal choice and it'll depend on what you want and why you want it, but whatever people might say, real film and high quality old fashioned prints just have that extra thing to them. Techincally speaking digital will always have an gap/difference compared to analog methods, just for the sake of always coming from a series of 1's and 0's. But I can imagine that digital is a blessing for beginning or intermediate photographers.