Forum: Photography

Subject: Digital vs. Film...?

Wolfsnap opened this issue on Oct 12, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Misha883 posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 10:49 AM

I used to be sort of a Methodist, but don't practice anymore. They are tools, guys. Tools. I've seen what all the above posters can do with their tools of choice, and it is all quite impressive. You all should be very proud of what you do. At this point in time I use a 35mm SLR film camera. Usually with color negative film, Fuji Superia Realia ASA100 is my current favorite, but have been known to use others if the whim takes me. The camera is an old Canon EOS 650, about 20 years old. It is an autofocus automatic everything, which I sometimes I actually use that way. Lately, I have been using it on a tripod, in manual focus/aperature priority mode; slow process, but seems to give the best results. It has the normal canon 50mm which I haven't used in twenty years, a 35-70mm Canon zoom which gets a fair amount of use, a Sigma 180mm macro which is my favorite lens, and a Sigma 170-500mm which is a piece of crap. Haven't priced it recently, but is in a far lower tier than any of the $3000 lenses some folks use. Can't justify more expense because it is a hobby, not a profession. I scan the 35mm negatives using a Nikon LS-1000, which is tempermental, so I've been lusting after an upgrade. Really torn about upgrading all the way to the Nikon 8000, and digging my old 120 RB67 out of mothballs, which in truth was really a pain in the butt to use, but may be just counter-culture enough now to be fun. Or going the digital route altogether. On even days of the week I tend towards digital; on odd, towards analog. So, I find threads like this highly informative. I loved B&W wet darkroom work, and hated catagorically color wet darkroom work. What drove me out of the darkroom was DUST. And the difficulty of drying fibre prints. [Most of my plastic prints turned purple after ten years, and, yes, I did follow the washing instructions.] The product of most of my work now ends up on a computer screen, which is causing me to lean towards digital, but being an engineer, (and somewhat penny-pinching), something bothers me about buying such a big purchase which will soon be obsolete. If I was a professional, with different customer demands, I'd likely make different choices. For digital processing, I use Photoshop v5, and am slowly converting to learn version 7. Computers do get upgraded fairly often, as computers ARE my profession not a hobby. But still not the high-end graphics work-stations that some folks use. [That's one of the nicer things about digital; the end result does not depend altogether that much on the cost or brand of the equipment.]