Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is this a beta test site?

visque opened this issue on Oct 13, 2002 ยท 122 posts

CyberStretch posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 5:04 PM

"The one I have a problem with is compatability to 'usual software/drivers/hardware'."

Ok, that was vague. But you merely have to look at new "pre-fab" systems to determine the 'usual'.

===

Software:

===

Drivers: Could be tricky depending upon the system configuration (ie, manufacturer, chipsets, components, etc). However, there are many chipsets, for example, that are widely used across many manufacturer's motherboards (ie, SIS, VIA, etc). It should be easy to determine if you have an adequate cross-section of the populace based upon the beta testers' and internal testers' system specs; which I presume would be recorded and taken into account.

===

Hardware falls into a "generalized" category. Most systems have:

Then you have the peripheral devices that should not generally interfere with the overall functionality of the system unless being used at the same time.

Most companies, at least the ones I have worked for, have mass purchasing agreements with the major system manufacturers (ie, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc). Therefore, most internal testing is, most likely, done on very similar systems; unless users are allowed to "customize" their workstation - which is a major no-no in most companies due to security and other reasons.

So, although there are a myriad of configurations, the vast majority of the hardware is "standardized" to some degree; and some seem to have no relation whatsoever to a 3D application. I have not seen any posts claiming any extraordinary system specs or software that would preclude an all-purpose 3D application not to run across the board. Most of the posts with problems have had fairly "plain vanilla" installs with nothing out of the ordinary that would draw attention away from Poser being the source of the problem(s). Likewise, the vast majority have used previous versions of Poser, so the systems must have been compatible to that extent, without system-based issues.

Given the fact that many problem posts state that Poser is the only application that exacerbates or exhibits these problems, it further presents that Poser seems to be the common denominator.