Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Just an Interesting Story...

Jack D. Kammerer opened this issue on Oct 15, 2002 ยท 92 posts

kbade posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 10:49 PM

"What happened in the past with Willow and Grey and others is long past. I believe this story is an excellent metaphor for what we are living through right now." I know you have had problems with P5 and sympathize. Of course, my point was not to revisit those past controversies, but note that in every one of them, a great many people had a great many opinions about them, almost always on the basis of hearsay. Jack's story is very nice, but if he had the actual facts to back up his underlying theory, he would have written non-fiction. To put it more bluntly, I rhetorically ask someone, anyone, to provide the data showing the percentage of P5 users that have had problems of the magnitude that you have experienced. Complaints in the forum are clearly not a scientific sample; we all know that people are more likely to make an effort to complain (and rightly so, because none of us expects to have the sort of problems you have had). Soulhuntre suggests it's a minority with problems, but I have no way of verifying that either. And to anticipate those who will respond that only CL has that data and the burden should be on them, I say that you would be proving my point. The non-CL members here simply do not have such information, and certainly don't know whether Jack's parable is an accurate metaphor. Want a specific example? In Jack's story: "Mr. Ripple and the man had an idea. If they could get other horses and expand the stables, they might be able to get more money. He and the owner of the horse worked hard together and began to expand their stables and get more horses. Both were really happy and had big dreams for their stables." How about this version instead: "Mr. Ripple liked the horse, but the man told him it wouldn't be in shape for another race for a couple of years. Mr. Ripple told the man he would like to help the man get the horse back on its hooves, but could not pay the man just to care for the horse for two years. So Mr. Ripple told the man he would give the man the money to care for the horse if the man would also raise other horses that could race and make money for them while the horse was being rehabilitated. The man had very mixed feelings about the situation, but Mr. Ripple was the only person interested in saving the horse from death. So he made the deal, and tried his best to raise other profitable horses, even though this dragged out the rehabilitation period for the horse." That's a different story, isn't it? Which one is a more accurate parable? I don't know, you don't know, and the man probably isn't going to incur the wrath of Mr. Ripple if mine is more accurate.