Forum: Vue

Subject: That free XFrog on Digit mag

MandK opened this issue on Oct 20, 2002 ยท 26 posts

MandK posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 5:59 PM

Hi Orio Mark has got it exactly right. If the front of the mag had said 'XFrog demo' or 'XFrog full version which will only export to Lightwave etc.' then it would have been OK. Seeing the words Full Version does sort of lead you to believe that you're getting a version which you can use to export to other programs. What I would like to know is whether that particular version of XFrog (3.02) actually had that export capability originally, and if it's been removed especially for this version. If that's the case, it's very naughty of Digit to claim it's the full commercial version. Or did it just export to those programs for which a plug-in was available even then? I suspect the former, because the export commands are there in the menu, they're just greyed out so you can't use them. I must say, as a promotional exercise this so far seems a bit of a disaster, in that the Digit mag message board is also full of people asking why they can't export. So instead of turning people on to XFrog (which in fairness looks a pretty nice program and capable of some excellent results) it seems to have generated lots of frustrated people! As I said on the XFrog board, it seems an odd way of going about it: anybody who has any of those four programs isn't going to be exactly poor, and if they want XFrog they will presumably have bought it already rather than wait for a free version to turn up; whereas hobbyists like me who only spend the odd hour here and there doing 3D and can't justify spending hundreds of pounds on programs would really appreciate the free version and then might consider buying the latest one. Perhaps they ought to take lessons from Maxon who gave away C4D 5 on a cover disk not long ago and then had an unrefusable offer on C4D XL 6 to follow it up. I've enjoyed every minute of using that one! Of course an ideal solution would be for Digit to give away a copy of Lightwave on their next cover disk so we could all use XFrog. Failing that though, maybe Greenworks could be persuaded to post a patch or a plug-in somewhere so that we could export to something a bit cheaper. Time to stop dreaming and go to bed! Mike