Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Black&White.... How???

itsik_m_18 opened this issue on Nov 09, 2002 ยท 7 posts

Hoofdcommissaris posted Mon, 11 November 2002 at 1:52 PM

And for something of a grand finale... Erm. Well. Not quite that maybe. But I am used to make black and white stuff, and everybody has got a bloody color camera these days. The thing with just switching from rgb to grayscale, is that, for instance, red colors translate to rather dark grey colors. Well, whatever (don't have my color theory present to back anything up), but the results can be far better with this method. Which I read somewere, so the credit is totally not mine. But when I get photo's (digital or analog) I start with the rgb or cmyk version. AND CHANGE IT TO LAB. That's in there too you know. Then you have 3 channels. One is greyscale (I have a localized version, this is a guess) and the other two are called a and b. Contain some kind of color information, hue and saturation I presume. But that greyscale channel, most of the time, is really a lot clearer, sharper and has a better representation in black and white, then your average transition from rgb to grey. Trashing those a and b channels and changing the mode to greyscale and you're ready. Really, everybody should try it. Then there is the duotone mode to colorize your grey photo. I use it to do nice stuff when printing in two colors (pantone and all), but the nice thing is in the curves you can use to spread the color tint over the grey shades. Once I got this tip (the LAB thing) I never changed to B/W without, so maybe it is of help to more people.