Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Prepared to get Flamed!

rudipooimf opened this issue on Nov 26, 2002 ยท 108 posts

lmckenzie posted Tue, 26 November 2002 at 10:23 PM

Let us stipulate that the portion of (what for lack of a better term, we can refer to as good art) in the galleries has decreased of late. Why is this? Either the number of good artists has decreased or the number of not so good artists has increased. I think the latter is more likely the main reason. More people are using the program every day. Poser has moved from its roots as more of an aid for traditional artists and is now seen as an artistic tool in its own right. Certainly the number of hobbyist users has increased. Lets face it; the serious artists who had any interest in Poser have probably already tried it and decided to use it or not. There is always a potential market among users of more high-end packages but I think the lions share of sales for the foreseeable future will be with hobbyists, web site designers, etc., people whose primary interest is not necessarily creating serious art. Now real artists may be trained in and gain their inspiration from traditional art but I dont think this is the case for many people. Consider the fact that art education is public schools has declined over the years. Mention museum to many people and they will think of tyrannosaurs before Titian. As someone alluded to, todays society emphasizes a MTV quick cut, sound bite, fast food, disposable, Brownie snapshot approach to life. People, especially young people are less likely to read newspapers, much less books. Music video, video games, and the Internet influence them. It should be no surprise that you end up with a number of Vicky in temple homages to Frazeta, Vicky as Britney, or anything with Vicky naked. Nor, should it be surprising that the quality of many of these images doesnt live up to the high standards of some. I think more and more Poser users see it as a fun, liberating pastime. They may not necessarily have the time or the patience, or even the inclination to spend hours or days perfecting an image. The art (and I do consider it art) they produce fulfills a desire and brings them a sense of pleasure and satisfaction. I certainly dont think anyone sets out to produce a bad picture. The galleries continue to serve what I think is their purpose, to give people an opportunity to share something they enjoy, warts and all. I think the simmering discontent from more serious artists with the galleries is merely a reaction to the reality of Posers changing place in the world. I imagine the Beverly Hills gentry felt a similar sense of dismay when the Clampets moved in next door. All is well; the foundations of art have not crumbled, just shifted, as they will do. You dont have to lower your standards to take a more ecumenical view of art and try to appreciate what the new school is trying to say, even if you dont like the result. You can offer helpful comments. Above all, you can show, by example, your own ideas. Everyone wants to improve, even if theyre not real artists. True, you may find less inspiration in the galleries, but as a couple of people have said, perhaps thats the best place to be looking for it anyway.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken