Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I know WHY the gallery is filled with similar Vicki pics

FyreSpiryt opened this issue on Dec 02, 2002 ยท 19 posts

xoconostle posted Tue, 03 December 2002 at 11:24 AM

The nice thing about R'osity galleries is that there's room for all styles. There is also room in these forums for a variety of opinions. That's why I had to grant FyreSpyrit a lot of credit for stating the simple truth that many people want to see nekkid Vicky (or airbrushed Vicky or whatever.) However, the theory seems to imply that a lot of the artists are responding to what subject matter gets the most hits. I'm sure many do. I've seen "get me into the Hot20" campaigns that frankly remind me of high school popularity polls. To be fair FyreSpyrit says that she thinks a lot of artists prefer to do Vicky pics. That's cool, but I take issue with the condescending attitude in FS's final paragraph. Nobody has a "problem" just because they find a lack of variety to be frustrating. It's a perfectly valid opinion, which I frequently share. The same is true with certain trends I see in the "conventional" gallery scene, which I earnestly enjoy in my city. Take a 1960s cartoon character, use it to comment on some social ill, and voila! You're "important." This is harder to do well than Naked Vicky, though. ;-) I have the distinct impression that many people are ignoring the run-of-the-mill pics (as they may perceive them.) It seems to me that the same people continuously strive to make note of, shall we say, more original imagery. I only started my gallery here recently. Indeed, a "pretty Vicky with nice breasts" pic of mine got the most hits (to be fair, some of the kind comments had depth.) As others have said, it's the comments that show some thought or critique that I value the most. If a render gets only a few hits, but one intelligent comment, I find that far more gratifying that getting 1,000 views due to a nice bosom. But then, my beginner's context here is not to be popular, it's to enjoy the CG hobby and to strive to improve. I suggest that when you set out to create a new image, you should do what you want to do, not what you think people want to see. If what you want to do happens to be NakedVickyInTemple, go for it, more power to you! I also suggest that those who view the galleries strive to make comments of value when they're moved to comment at all. "Nice render" is fine...it's always nice to get any comments at all, but "your sense of composition is great, but the highlights on the face are too strong" means so much more to many of us. You know what I mean. Lots of intelligent comments in this thread. I hope dissenting views (and my in-between sort of view) won't be seen as mere "griping." Usually, people gripe because they care. You can't say we aren't a passionate community!