Forum: Photography

Subject: portable lighting - and cheap?

jchimim opened this issue on Dec 09, 2002 ยท 10 posts

Alpha posted Mon, 09 December 2002 at 10:30 PM

One thing to keep in mind when looking at any form of lighting is how are you going to control it?

The light at this link looks like it may be fine for illuminating a large area which I am sure for painting a room would be fine, but I see nothing that shows me how to control the intensity or position.

One of the aspects of of using artificaial light is where to position it for the proper effect. Most basic lighting kits commercially available from photo supply stores come with adjustable stands that allow for placement at various heights. I have to ask myself when I see something like this how will I elevate it and control the angle.

Then the next question is how will I control the intensity of the light? While a rheostat is a viable option if properly rated for the fixture, the only other alternative with a light of this type is to move the light closer or farther from the subject. This can be a problem if one is working in a small area.

The last thing I will touch on now is the color of light. While the claim here is white light, I can tell you from experience that halogen lamps give an ugly orange glow when shooting digitally unless you white balance for them.

Not sure what your budget is, but I would still consider looking for a basic two light studio flash set-up before making any final decisions. There are many available at fairly reasonable prices, and studio flash is much easier on the budget when you consider the cost of electricity to run halogens.