Forum: Photography

Subject: portable lighting - and cheap?

jchimim opened this issue on Dec 09, 2002 ยท 10 posts

jchimim posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 7:36 AM

Attached Link: http://www.regentlighting.com/search/products.asp?id=12011&brand=regent&app=Worklights&light

Thought about a flash set-up, but "regular" lights are easier to control, not as much trial-and-error. White balance is fairly easy to compensate for in the camera. Another advantage to the regular lights is the ability to also work with video. Thinking of having two lights, one pointed at the ceiling, and another ~45 degrees offset from the camera for depth. The off-set one would be pointed toward a reflector and directed back toward the subject, and intensity could be controlled by adjusting the distance from the reflector, and distance of the whole thing from the subject(s.) I'm leaning toward a single "stand" light, as in the one at the link, plus an additional clamp-on for versatility. Mainly wondering if the "painter's light" from the first link is worth it. Trying to keep it all under $200 US, and as light (no pun intended) as possible. Picked up ideas from this forum, and one at www.dpreview.com. All advice is appreciated, and I'll post details on what I finally wind up with once done. THANX!