Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: The app thread ! DEBATE

TRAVISB opened this issue on Dec 10, 2002 ยท 54 posts

Kixum posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 3:35 PM

Carrara Carrara has a whole host of tools for modeling which range from vertex modeling, spline, and the whacky metaboll modeling. Text modeling is also included but I don't know that I would consider that a special stand alone modeler. I think Carrara's strength lies in its capability to do models and do excellent renders for the price. There are a few aspects of the Carrara vertex modeler that are pined for by the users, bevels being one of them. Another one is the import of an image with the capability to "trace" out a 3d model using the image as a template. The interface Carrara has with Adobe Illustrator has provided some help for users but it could be expanded significantly. The introduction of bones in the latest version of the code has been very useful, practical, and easy. Armatures can be applied to models which makes animation pretty straight forward. The modeling of mechanics can be done easily and straight forward in either the spline or vertex modeler. Organics can be a challenge for some. Nurbs have not been added to Carrara with the emphasis by Eovia (the vendor) to push Amapi as a more enabled and premium tool for modeling. Currently, I would say the metaball modeler (which is a sort of "clay glob", "stick em together" type of modeler) has been underused and does have a limited level of application. It's difficult to assess this aspect of the application. Again, Carrara shines when it's coupled with the powerful texture engine and rendering engines available. Complicated meshes can be built in Carrara with excellent results. Organics are still a little more clumsy than other apps but the code is having significant evolutions on an annual basis and modeling tools are part of those changes. Modeling in C has some limits, but it certainly doesn't fall short of being an excellent choice for tons of stuff (especially if you're a beginner and you have no dough!). I hope some of the heavy hitter Amapi users come over here and paste in a few paragraphs. I'll try to chase somebody in here for that. Amapi has a lot of serious tools and lots of horsepower that should get some air time here. -Kixsupercool.gif

-Kix