Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: The app thread ! DEBATE

TRAVISB opened this issue on Dec 10, 2002 ยท 54 posts

y@ posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 11:56 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=266493&Start=1&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=y%40&Form.Cri

ScottA ya got me thinking... When I use Rhino I also sculpt my cars in the same was as say SubD's but while I work it is already smoothed out no poly like. Anyhoo I find poly modeling great also, just doesn't work with my workflow. I create a block then deform and pull control points till I get the shape I need, I also add weights to section of control points to create hard edges and such. Then I chop it up by splitting and add new parts and modify as needed. This method works really well for fluid like shaped cars. But anyways just wanted to throw that out there, I'm using this method to design a Sports car for production. This should help out when having to have a 5 point axis Milling machine chew away at a block of foam material to create Carbon fiber body pannels. I'm looking at Rhino as Artistic engineering tool in some ways. Ahhhh I love the command line,, hehehe,, I feel I can see what the program is doing, I can also call it up at any point and see the history of commands used, very help full if you need a measurement that you may have used for scaling or moving or anything. Great topic, love reading what people have to say about there favorites and why so. Attached a link to my last personal project, needs more work, but the whole body of the car was made out of one chunk, then Added to it over a few days. about 8-10 hours of modeling.

y@