Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: The app thread ! DEBATE

TRAVISB opened this issue on Dec 10, 2002 ยท 54 posts

wgreenlee1 posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 12:26 AM

Speaking of Amapi... The only thing I could ever get it to do was make that red-line thing off the end of my cursor..... I would sit there and play with it for a few minutes and then finally exit out of the program with ctrl+Alt+delete...... It would just stick there and I would click,click,click and finally get tired of it..... Carrera was really funny also.... I'm like all I want to do is make a cube and surface it.... I could never figure it out.... 3dMax is not straight forward enough for me,I like to get in there and just play and it always seemed like there was a routine you had to got through just to do that.... XSI is great but its takes all your time to learn properly just to get results... I'm just doing this stuff for a hobbie and will probrably never get it... Bryce is ok for landscapes but trying to model with it is like building a house with toothpicks.... and you grow old waiting on the renders.... I was into Truespace for a while but the community really is not friendly.... By that I mean no tutorials and not very many advanced users and there like Max,there seemed to be a routine to everything....You couldnt just get a good radiosty render without working at it for hours...the nurbs were cool but really unuseful for anything because of the outragous poly counts.... I tried Rhino... I liked it and thought I would get along with it really well but it has a shitty render engine and $600-$700 is way too much just for a modeling program.... Poser.....well we all know that road...or sidewalk.... Vue is great... Love the renders but once again there you go...."look at the pretty picture"....no fun stuff like particules and modeling..... Maya...well here we go again..Maya...is ok,it reminds me of C4D....but those friggin Icons for everything....Its like a I.Q. test every time you open it up..."ok,now what did this little thingy stand for?and what about this little blue smuggie ball with a arrow through it?Whats this do...whoops......Thats another thing that started bugging the shit out of me about Truespace....."Wheres that friggin Icon that does that one thing that I cant remember everytime...?" I'm gotta tell eveyone..... Lightwave kicks all thier asses.... The interface is like a desk where nothing falls off and nothing moves so you can find it eveytime you need it... The renderer is amazing just to watch... Shoot,Viper has a better render engine than most apps out now... The modeler is logical... By that I mean there not stupid stuff in there... Everyone keeps on about "Wheres the infinate plane in Lightwave?"....There not one there because infinate planes are not real....there no such thing...infinate planes are no logical...and to me that says everything about Lightwave right there...its a logical program.... Like LScripting... You cant do something you wish because theres no tool?Well get into LScripting and make your own tools or search the web and someone has probrably already scripted something free for you to use.... The community is vast and continues to grow and grow.... That coupled with a great price makes it a very good choice from beginners to experts... In fact if I had it to do allover again I wouldve went straight to Lightwave and skipped all those "little " programs which were nohing but a waste of money because they were 1/8 programs or 1/5 programs...they didnt have everything in one box and on one disk. I bought Lightwave 7.0b(Upgraded to 7.5 for free)Aura 2.0(which has been upgrade to 2.5(for free) for $1500 and I belive thats the best money Ive ever spent on anything in my life.... Well I feel like I'm sitting here writting to my self but I have a animation rendering and its about finished so back to work...:)