Forum: Bryce

Subject: Good Art, Bad Art and Overthinking

DryFly opened this issue on Dec 16, 2002 ยท 41 posts

DryFly posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 12:15 PM

Hi Gang,
Just a topic for discussion that is occurring to me more and more these days. I have always considered myself a student of human nature but what I see in the galleries seems to defy that entirely. That being, the number of viewings and comments posted based on the image posted. I can spot no clear pattern to what people who peruse the galleries seem to prefer. Don't get me wrong this is not a whine about people not looking at MY art, the last thing I need is (more) people staring closely at my own stuff and discovering yours truly is a talent less hack :) However, I'm more interested to find out if anyone else has noticed that there seems to be no consistency whatsoever in the type of images favored. Because, many of the renders I see that draw a large number of viewings (and more importantly comments because I know that the thumbnail can sink an image before it's even viewed) seem to defy all the rules for originality or composition. Believe me I didn't sleep through the part of art class in which it was clearly explained that art in and of itself is completely subjective. Some folks find oil paintings of Campbells soup cans to be "inspired" and jars of urine with a crucifix in them "enlightened and provocative". (although not this monkey)... But, there are still formulas that can be applied to most mass appeal art. Not so in the galleries. While yet another render of stiff faeries, swords or a vegetation-less island with a glass sphere floating above it, rockets up the list of viewings and comments it most often seems that several pieces that hit all the marks for composition, inspiration and overall textbook mass appeal get skipped over and fade off into "page 20" oblivion without hardly a courtesy glance. There are a ton of genuinely talented folks who I watch daily get brushed aside before they are ever "discovered". Being all subjective though, my entire viewpoint could be askew and perhaps I need to drink more single malt and hang out with more folks who wear all black while using words like "paradigm" "existentialism" :)
Sure, probably 99% of the folks looking at the posted images are other artists who can be the most critical of viewers, but that being the case it would bring one to the conclusion that those images and abstracts that have all the recognizable traits of "good art" should be singled out for more viewings and comments. Apparently not so.

This post is not meant as a rant, whine or stump. We just have allot of free time during winters in Alaska to spend over-thinking things :) It is just meant to pose a thought for discussion.
Best to you and all of yours on the holidays..