Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Please help.

BJsHaven opened this issue on Dec 26, 2002 ยท 9 posts

BJsHaven posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 10:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.bjshaven.com/

I am trying to make my own brushes in PS7. Could someone please tell me the step by step to do this? Don't know why I am having problems with this and I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much. BJ

retrocity posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 2:20 PM

BJ, not sure what the problem is...

Are you using the "define brush" option in the EDIT menu? Or are you clicking on the inverted arrow in the Brush Palette and selecting "New Brush"?

With the "Define Brush" method, you need to make sure the area around the shape/brush is transparent, otherwise you'll have white behind the brush shape.

method 1:
Use the pen tool or paint brush and create a shape you want to make into a brush. Make sure it's black (you need black for it to be opaque)
Select the shape (make sure the background is turned off)
Choose DEFINE BRUSH from the EDIT menu
Name your new brush
If you don't already have EXPANDED VIEW selected in the brush palette select it. This gives you the presets for the brush. Here you can set the Shape Dynamics, Texture, Color Dynamics...

method 2: Choose NEW BRUSH from the inverted arrow in the Brush Palette. This creates a duplicate of your last selected or active brush. Change your preset settings to reflect your desired effects. Make sure you rename this brush.

more later...
:)
retrocity

BJsHaven posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 3:16 PM

Oh thanks so much. I don't know what I was doing wrong. I just want to make my own brushes and will try what you told me. Appreciate your info. BJ

Grimtwist posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 3:24 PM

I really should get version 7 for my own well-being. I feel so....inferior. Like the time I had to use Windows 95 for a month.

So, now that you guys have version 7, do you think you could ever go back to version 6 if you had to?

dreamer101 posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 5:59 PM

You can never go back. There is one feature they changed in Image Ready I don't care for but will put up with.

ladydawg posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 6:20 PM

I have to admit...I love my PS7...but when it comes to hair...I take it back into PS 5.5 LE...For some reason the hair comes out alot better in there.....So for sanity purposes I keep both...

crrunchyfrog posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 7:40 PM

I just got PS7 for Christmas and I must say that its my favourite present I got this year! The new brushes and textures are incredible! The only problem I have is I don't know where to start :D

Grimtwist posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 9:56 PM

New textures? That's reason enough for me!

trick-art posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 1:01 AM

I'm curious as to the reason anyone feels that the brushes work better in PS 5.5 than in PS7...the brush dynamics can easily be made to match 5.5's brushes. Still, I'd like to know a little more specifically what kind of custom brushes you're trying to make, what kind of effect you're really trying to achieve. It's difficult to nail a specific formula down as there are about 50 bazillion different possibilities with PS7's brush settings.