Forum: Bryce

Subject: more hdri renderings

zappazorn opened this issue on Dec 29, 2002 ยท 7 posts

zappazorn posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 8:38 PM

still playing around with the hdri thing. i modeled the lightbulb in max 3.1, and have only one light in the scene.

zappazorn posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 8:40 PM

oh yeah, i also did some postwork in photoshop. heres another one.

TMGraphics posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 10:51 PM

Nicely done! Are you using the one light in the scene for the darker shadow effect?

GROINGRINDER posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 11:50 PM

Is this a visual pun or what? You render a light bulb and say there is one light in the scene. Get it? LOL 8^) Nice job BTW.

zappazorn posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 2:41 AM

hey groingrinder, thats funny. techically there is two lights, but only one is on. yeah, im using the light for the shadow effect. in my other hdri scenes i used no lights, and just used highly reflective materials, but it would suck cuz i wasnt able to get much color unless i cranked up the ambiance, wich didnt look too good. first i tried using a combo of fake hdri and gi using a light dome, but my computer wasnt handling it to well. so i just used one cone shaped light, flattened it out and made it big enough to cover the scene, then i played around with the light settings till i got something i liked. i was actually suprised with the results, i got a pretty descent gi look with only one light. and it definatly saved some render time. i just finished another one, i think this one is even better as far the shadows go, they seem less harsh. i cant remember what settings i used for the light though, i'll have to go back and check if anyone is interested.

ttops posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 4:58 AM

That looks fantastic.

Ornlu posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 1:21 AM

I agree it looks fantastic, but I find that using multiple lights with NO blur makes for better shadows. no dithering as in the ones in the last pic.