Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Help..Linking Poser hands to prop or object..

alphauser51 opened this issue on Jan 25, 2003 ยท 4 posts

alphauser51 posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 1:03 PM

poser problem that is driving me crazy.. How do I lock a figureshands into place on an object. Example 1: I want to have a figure walking in place on a treadmill. How do I lock the handparts onto the treadmill hand bar, so that when I apply a walking motion from the walk designer, the legs and body will move but the hand parts stay stationary?? Exam[ple 2: I have a guy standing with a sword in his both hands. How do I lock the handparts to the sword handle ,so that when I pull the sword, the arms and hands move locked to the sword. Example 3: I have a figure with a rifle in both hands. How do I lock the hands to the rifle so that when I move the riflr, both hands move with the rifle in place. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Keith kbyrne@easynews.com

lesbentley posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 1:50 PM

1: You cant parent (or lock as you call it) a body part to an object. What you can do is lock the hands (or feet) position in space (actually to be technically correct you are locking it relitive to the position of the BODY actor). From the Figure menu, select Inverse Kinematics, put a tick (U.S.=check) next to the Right Arm and or Left Arm, now if you move anything except the BODY, the hands will try to remain where they are.

2: It cant be done (not that I have ever heard of any way), but you can parent the sword to one hand, then it will follow the motion of that hand.

3: Same answer as #2

lesbentley posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 2:00 PM

I say It cant be done, but I may be wrong. What if you parented the prop to a hand, then used ERC (enhanced remote control) to slave the xyx translations of both hands to the xyx translations of the prop. Might work.

lesbentley posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 3:06 PM

Attached Link: Parent a figures hands to an object, EUREKA!

OK, I was wrong. It can be done, see the thread linked above.