Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: A bit OT: DAZ Studio Q.

EvoShandor opened this issue on Jan 28, 2003 ยท 24 posts

EvoShandor posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 10:58 AM

I know this is a little bit off topic, considering I am asking about DAZ Studio and all....but, hey, I am excited and I can't help it. From the tiny preview we got of the alpha version....it appears that the character in the preview window is complete with textures and all (I'm assuming its V3). If this is the case I am also assuming that DAZ has included some type of H/W acceleration of the UI. If so, this would be ideal. I'd just like to know when we can find out more about DAZ Studio, as what I've got so far is relatively nada. Is there a timeline or ETA? Is the package going to be comparable with Poser, or will it be a more high-end character studio with a better renderer, animation fuctionality, etc. I know we are all expecting DS to be better than Poser....god knows why...is there anything that anyone can think of where DS would NOT stand up to Poser? Again, just curious, and excited. Evo

pdxjims posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 11:56 AM

Shhhhhh!!!! Don't scare it off! The folks at Daz are being very quiet on it. Although it's been long enough that someone (hint hint), might do another Alpha preview. We do know it will be using OpenGL, so it'll have great advantages in render time. I just want them to take there time and do it right. Daz has a real reputation for quality, and I'm counting on it. I've never got a product form them that I wasn't 100% satisified with.

SAMS3D posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 11:57 AM

I have not idea...Sharen

Cheers posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 12:51 PM

EvoShandor said: "If this is the case I am also assuming that DAZ has included some type of H/W acceleration of the UI." Yep (well, the viewports anyway), but this is normal for most 3D apps, be it OpenGL, Direct3D etc. CL chose to ignore this basic requirement of having hardware acceleration in Poser 5, and instead rely on their outdated system... I think I'll wait for the forward thinking company and wait to purchase DAZ Studio ;o) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

RHaseltine posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 1:20 PM

OpenGL (or other acceleration) speeds up the previews, not the final render for which (almost) all commercial products use their own code.

Cheers posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 1:55 PM

RHaseltine said: "OpenGL (or other acceleration) speeds up the previews, not the final render for which (almost) all commercial products use their own code." Ohh, of course :o), although most renderers are built around either Raytrace or Phong coding.

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Lyrra posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 3:03 PM

this is one of those 'wait and see' things. Lets not rush the guys, mmkay?

SKondris posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 4:05 PM

Well, I'll see if I can't scare up another preview for you here soon. Steve Kondris DAZ Productions, Inc.

praxis22 posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 4:09 PM

Woohoo! :)

Cheers posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 4:37 PM

If you can Steve, thanks :o) I'll look forward to it :o) Cheers

YouTube Channel

PabloS posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 6:11 PM

--bookmark for the preview--

jerr3d posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 6:40 PM

I have a feeling this is going to be a really long thread!

kbade posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 6:46 PM

I believe that someone posted that the Jan. issue of Computer Arts mentions a projected mid-'03 release date. But given the reaction to P5 1.0, and to a lesser degree to DAZ's V3, I would imagine DAZ won't rush it.

maclean posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 6:47 PM

Yes! That would sate my appetite for info AND increase my frustration at having to wait, both at the same time. Sweet torture.... mac

PabloS posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 6:54 PM

hey mac! check that out! Daz has an actual person posting!

jtdavies posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 9:25 PM

markdc posted Tue, 28 January 2003 at 10:10 PM

Thanks Steve. It would be great if you could also post some of the features you expect to have in the app. -Mark

aleks posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 2:21 AM

hmm, i'll put a... semi colon: ,

Staby posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 3:36 AM

Looking forward to the preview...

PheonixRising posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 5:11 AM

I can say that the preview mode(openGL)mentioned above I originally mistook for final renders when I saw them. I said "well that is very pretty but but a poser render can me made to look similar with Photoshop...." They said after laughing at me "Anton that is preview mode not a final render. lol" It was the full transmapping that fooled me. You'll like it. Okay running away now. The bosses will okay a preview soon. Anton

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

Caly posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 10:17 AM

gets her spies to watching

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Crescent posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 10:29 AM

Grr! Now I feel like doing a road trip to DAZ just to see the program.

Xurge posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 11:48 AM

Thanks Steve, and Anton.

maclean posted Wed, 29 January 2003 at 3:00 PM

LOL@pablo, I know. I broker through DAZ and steve was my contact before he switched over to PR. What's even more shocking is that they reply personally to every e-mail! No 'teams' or avatars. LOL. mac PS What do 'The Curious Labs Team' do when they make an announcement? Do they all gather round the keyboard and take turns to peck out the letters, so it's a 'team' effort? Heh, heh. We'll laugh them out of this sooner or later.