Forum: Photoshop

Subject: sweet bleeding jesus, how do I make circular text???

Darth_Logice opened this issue on May 05, 2000 ยท 5 posts

Darth_Logice posted Fri, 05 May 2000 at 9:47 PM

For God's sake...this should be a standard feature in Photoshop. What plugin do I need to make text flow in a simple arc? TIA -Darth_Logice

Darth_Logice posted Fri, 05 May 2000 at 10:35 PM

Answered my own question courtesy of Usenet! For anyone else who wants to know...this works wonderfully! Text in a circle or oval. This question comes up frequently in this newsgroup. My solution in Photoshop is simple, even in version 3.04. 1. Type text 2. Scale-up the selected text vertically, about two times, with Free-Scale. 3. Rotate text 180 degrees. 4. Fit text symmetrically in a SQUARE selection. 5. Use Filter-Distort- Polarcoord. and choose Rectangular to Polar. 6. Rotate 180 degrees. 7. Adjust the dimension of the circle with Free-Scale. Remarks: a. Text rotates Clockwise. Skip 180 degrees rotation to obtain Anti-Clockwise text rotation. b. A RECTANGULAR selection gives text in an oval or ellips. c. A larger SQUARE selction "opens" the text circle. d. A wider RECTANGULAR selection "opens" the text oval. Good luck! vdRee

BazGibb posted Sun, 07 May 2000 at 3:13 PM

You know why Adobe don't include the simple feature in Photoshop? Because they KNOW that the easiest way to do it is in Illustrator - and we all know who makes Illustrator don't we... :(

poserxposure posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 3:10 PM

Yet another use for that Polar Coordinates filter! I keep telling you guys that it is the unsung hero of filters. Just my two cents (and I expect change)

Jacko posted Fri, 12 May 2000 at 10:03 AM

Get your hands on the Extensis Photographics filter! Its the best damn way to get good results. The poolar Coordinates filter bends the text while Illustrator and the Extensis filter keeps the characters as they should be but simpy rotates them along your curve.