Forum: Bryce

Subject: Here we go again: Bryce 6 wish list

Erlik opened this issue on Feb 12, 2003 ยท 11 posts

Erlik posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 6:06 AM

I'm having a break at work and I read the thread below and was thinking about what I'd like to see in Bryce 6. Actually, this is more a description of a dream 3D program. :-) 1) Faster renderer. Faster. Faster! I downloaded the Cinema 4D R8 demo yesterday. I put a volumetric light with noise in the scene with a Woody, and lighted him from below with an ordinary light. 800x600 rendered in 2 seconds. Wow. And I hear that Electric Image has even faster renderer. So, a renderer that can do volume, soft shadows, GI and stuff like that without spending tens on hours on a 1024x768 picture. 2) Keep the initial ease of use of Bryce, with good presets and default lighting. 3) Keep DTE, but make it more accessible. 4) At least enable the proper Booleans in Bryce. Though: 5) I'd also like a semi-proper modeller module. With splines, revolves, rails, lofts and so on. Therefore: 6) Make it possible to include modules/plug-ins for higher-end 3D. 7) When I'm talking about modellers, I'd also like to have one that behaves like Rhino. Of all the modellers I tried, I like Rhino the most. Easy to learn, can do quite a lot of things. And I really like their zoom and rotate function. You don't have to click on a button, but simply right-click and rotate, while the wheel zooms in and out. Excellent. 8) If Bryce is good enough, you wouldn't need another program, but enable proper exports for all elements of Bryce, please. Trees, primitives and so on. Also, enable imports of things like Poser's pz3 scenes, or possibly the future format for scenes from DAZ Studio. Including formats like max or something like that wouldn't hurt either and I think that would help sales. Of course, I'm certain that there are problems with proprietary formats, so this is just talking. 9) Keep the price of the Base Bryce at around $300-350, with additional modules/ plugins depending on what they do. But do not price modules/ plugins higher than the Base Bryce. And DON'T maim the Base Bryce. 10) Distribute the SDK for plugins, so people can make their own. 11) Document every feature of Bryce. Shortcut, what it can do, and so on. Do not hide anything. Better yet, get Susan Kitchens to write the manual. :-) I'm certain that I'm forgetting tons of stuff and hope you people will add your own suggestions.

-- erlik