Forum: OT

Subject: OT: a question...and a little research ;o)

LaurieA opened this issue on Mar 15, 2003 ยท 91 posts

LaurieA posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:22 PM

What scary movie characters left the biggest impression on you, especially when you were a kid? One's that gave you nightmares? I'd like to know, good movie or bad. I'd also like to know what about the character scared you the most :o). My choices are: 1. Gargoyles - a movie from the 70's. Bad movie, scary looking monsters ;o). 2. Salem's Lot - the freaky eyes on that vampire gave me nightmares for weeks!! 3. Legend - I wasn't exactly a kid then, but the character Darkness frightened me. His face was terrifying but at the same time just a tad sexy? (yeah, call me weird ;o)). 4. Thirteen Ghosts - another bad, bad movie with cool monsters. "The Jackal" scared the bejezuz outta me. Wouldn't want that chasing ME down the hall! LOL (that character was the one with his/her head in a cage). I think all in all, what scares me the most about the monsters that scare me the most is the eyes. Yep, the eyes. I guess that's why I have such a fascination with them :o). Laurie

geoegress posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:33 PM

The Thing ( the newer movie)

Butch posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:37 PM

Boris Karoff as Frankenstein, I saw it the for the first time when I was about seven. Those stupid flying monkeys in the Wizard of OZ, to this day I still shiver when see those things. The all time scary movie for at least the first third of so of the movie has be THEM!. It's really scary until the ants make their appearence. Allowing for the budget and the Special Effects technology of the 50's though they ain't too bad. Another scary movie, one of the few horror movies that really scared me as I go older, was the British film, Legend of Hell House, I think it was the title. No gore and very little blood, but the suspense will kill you. The movie Alien, the first video tape that I ever bought back in the early days of VHS-Betamax wars, has to be scariest SF film that I have ever since.

genny posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:38 PM

"The Birds".........I think it bothered me so much because, Birds are/were real creatures we live with all of our lives, and I really thought it would happen! When I was older (I wasn't a kid either), it was the "Exorocist", but that was probaly mostly because I am a Catholic. Genny

LaurieA posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:46 PM

LOL genny. I'm not Catholic and it scared the heck outta me too! ;o). Forgot about that one. I find spooky movies affect me more than typical "monster" movies. Movies that play on one's religious background/superstitions like the Exorcist or movies about ghosts, vampires or demons. There's something about a ghostly creature that can show up anywhere it wants and you can't kill it or make it go away ;o). And while I think that "Aliens" is the flat-out best sci-fi movie ever made, it think it's more suspenseful than scary. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way thru the movie, but it didn't scare me. What scares me are movies like "The Others", "The Sixth Sense", and "The Omen". Laurie

ronmolina posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 12:46 PM

Dracula by far for me. Yes the eyes have alot to do with it. Ron

HaiGan posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 1:12 PM

Scary creatures that gave me nightmares? Actually, I was the kid that was forever pointing out the wires, or the flaws in the costumes, or trying to figure out how they did the effect. ;) I think the things that scared me the most were those I could never properly see. The things with no faces, the shadows that loomed but were never properly visible. Those, and the things that looked /almost/ like creatures I know, but were just a tiny bit /wrong/. Humans with glowing eyes and blank faces, dogs that lurched instead of running properly, rats that swarmed and attacked instead of running away. I have to admit as well, daleks still scare me a tiny bit, despite having seen inside a 'real' one. I think it's the way they glide without legs. That, and there used to be one in a museum in London, set up so that you didn't see it unless you were looking behind you as you turned to go through a door, and rigged so that as you opened the door it chanted "STAY WHERE YOU ARE!" Did that ever make me jump!

dragongirl posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 1:16 PM

A movie that actually did give me terrible nightmares is a very old one - with Vincent Price - I think the title is The Wax Museum. Where he appears to be a nice guy, but his hidden face is a crazed murderer. I was and still am terrified by Hitchcock's Psycho. Very intense to me - TOO intense. Cape Fear - with Robert DiNiro - I found that film very scary. I guess I find "real" people more scary than monsters. :-) -dg

capsces posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 1:45 PM

I'm with dg. Real people doing terrible things scare me more than ugly monsters. I remember two movies that scared me as a child (under 10). One was "The Blob". The only thing I can remember of the other movie was a woman with an axe fixing to off her husband (I think). It was a black and white. However, that one scene is the only part I remember. These days the news scares me. Laurie, my favorite movie is "Legend" (not the director's cut). Though it has its downfalls, I find it the most visually stunning movie I have ever seen. And, Darkness is my favorite character. Beth

wdupre posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 1:58 PM

the Little dolls from Barbarella, they scared me! I stayed far from my sisters room for months after seeing them. OK I was like nine but it really really scared me. Will

c1rcle posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 1:59 PM

I had nightmares for years about Zombies, they still make me shiver even though I've seen loads of movies with them in.

artnik posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:00 PM

Has anyone here seen the original movie "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? It came out in the mid forties, and starred Hird Hatfield(who?). I'm not that old, but I'm a film buff of sorts. When they suddenly flashed the color shot of the corrupt portrait,that was probably one of the scariest moments in movies. The color shots of the picture were the only color shots in tha movie which was black and white. I viewed an exhibit of Ivan Albright, and some other macabre artists, such as Bacon, etc. They were here at the Chicago Art Institute. One of the pictures was Albright's original work for that movie. Although he didn't just do macabre paintings,his attention to detail and realism beyond reality was almost unbelievable. If you get a chance to see the original tape, with the color shots, check it out for yourself. Not all prints of the movie have the color shots in them.

artnik posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:02 PM

That should be HURD Hatfield, sorry.

Poppi posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:04 PM

well, i gotta stick with flying monkeys. after that, cujo, gage the cat in pet semetary1, and jack nicholson in "the shining"...things that can be real, like a rabid dog, or resurrected dead pets tend to scare me more than vampires and stuff.

maclean posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:28 PM

For me, it was the exorcist, even though I was around 17 at the time. I've never really been scared by movies. I'm like HaiGan. Always looking for the strings and checking the make-up. I LOVE BAD horror and gore movies. I laugh myself silly at them. I did see a BBC play when I was a kid which scared me. It was from an Edgar Allen Poe short story about kids, but I can't remember the name. Glad to see Ridley Scott getting well-deserved praise for Alien and Legend. And don't forget his other classic movie, Blade Runner. He used to do TV commercials in the UK before he directed movies, (in fact, his brother still does), and it shows. Great atmosphere and attention to detail is the secret. mac

gulfmystery posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:44 PM

A Vincent Price film called "Doctor Fibes" or something like that..He fed some fat guy a pie made of the guys poodle and gave some women a perm with an electric perm helmet, frying her brains in the process. I used have a cushion in front of my face for 90% of the film

gulfmystery posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:47 PM

Oh it might not have been vincent price, there was some other english horror actor out the same time as him. Cant remember his name but he had a dodgy tash, always get him and Vince mixed up

LordNakagawa posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:55 PM

Actually to change gendres, the paintings of hieronmus bosch still give me nightmares partucally hel and his last judgement . Although he worked in teh 1500's he was definaly an atist about 500 years ahead of his time. He still makes Salvador Dali look like Spongebob Squarepants. I am positive he did too much LSD in the 60's (albeit teh 1560's).

Netherworks posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 2:55 PM

Ooooh! Good movies everyone! Movies that scared me the most: Alien Magic (with Anthony Hopkins, scary ventriloquist dummies!) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (remake with Donald Sutherland) The Thing (remake) Ghost Story (really freaked me out)

Valandar posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:03 PM

The only movie that ever really scared me, as opposed to grossing me out or just get me excited, was the ORIGINAL scary movie... Nosferatu. When I was an itty bitty tiny child, I got the chance to see it from a bootleg copy of the actual fim. As in reel-to-reel. To this day, when the vampire rises out of his coffin perfectly flat, I get goosebumps.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

Sarudani posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:08 PM

Jaws did it for me, I was 10 and lived on a beach so the movie didn't require a lot of suspension of belief. I didn't sleep well for days afterwards, but it didn't keep me out of the water. ;-)

Porthos posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:14 PM

Michael Jackson in the THRILLER! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

Momcat posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:16 PM

Psycho. I had to shower sitting down, with the curtain open (we had
one of those that had the extendable wand) for years, and to this
day I still require a clear shower curtain. >^_^

steveshanks posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:21 PM

When i was real young, child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang and those french clown dolls with the tears, can't recall the movie...what scares me now is the Omen, any of the 3 movies..Steve

xoconostle posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:21 PM

"I am positive he did too much LSD in the 60's (albeit teh 1560's)." Sorry to be the party pooper, but that popular notion (hallucinogenic ergot fungus) and the other, that Bosch was a madman, are totally baseless. His imagery was typical for depictions of the Christian Hell in his time and place. Many other Flanders artists of that time depicted similar demons and freakish scenes. Bosch was just the best of 'em. :-) At first I thought you meant that Dali took LSD in the 1960s, which is true. As a child, several of the films already mentioned spooked me. Also an episode of Outer Limits (or was it The Twilight Zone?) called "The Zanti Misfits" which featured creatures with antlike bodies and humanoid heads with lots of teeth. Oh, and there was that awful early '70s TV movie with Karen Black and the little African idol who comes to life and goes on a stabbing spree...can't remember the title, but it scared lots of people. As a young adult, yeah, The Exorcist, The Shining, and the original version of The Haunting, mostly for not showing "monsters." The soundtrack in Exorcist is scarier than the images.

xoconostle posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:26 PM

My best friend just called and reminded me of the title of that Karen Black TV movie..."Trilogy of Terror." He'd seen it recently, and says "it's Sid and Marty Kroft bad," which doesn't sound scary at all. (Well, actually, H.R. Puffnstuff is scary in another sort of way...)

xoconostle posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:29 PM

pakled, interesting opinion, since "Aliens" is usually ranked with "Bride of Frankenstein" and "Toy Story 2" as among the very, very few excellent sequels. Was it the alien drool and all that which disgusted you? I walked out on the Kurt Russell flick "Soldier." Whoa. Even worse than "Reign of Fire" or "Battlefield Earth." However, there will always be a special place in my heart for "Showgirls," perhaps the most enjoyable godawful movie, ever.

Sue88 posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:35 PM

When I was a little kid there was a show on T.V. - I think it was probably French, I'm not sure. Either the title or the scary guy's name was something like Belphegor (sp?). I don't remember anything about it other than it made me quite scared of the dark.

steerpike posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 3:52 PM

I'm with geoegress on the newer "Thing", and with artnik on "Dorian Gray". Regarding the latter; I remember watching that at university amongst a theatrefull of cynical students - you could have heard a pin drop when the colour painting came on screen. Oh, and thinking of student film nights - not a character, but a single shot - there's THAT moment at the end of "Carrie"...

Petunia posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 4:47 PM

When little... The original "Thing" The BLOB, The Abombidable (sp) Snowman

MachineClaw posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 4:47 PM

Agree with artnik, Dorian Grey freaked me. Then: Alien (1) cause you didn't actually SEE the alien til the end of the movie. Norman Bates dressed as his mother with knife and killing in the shower scene. I smelled all weekend as a kid, no way was I taking a shower! haha, have since :P Tales of Terror I think it was called, little voodoo doll with a knife hackin at the ladies legs. and what REALLY scared the holy....well what got me as a kid the most? The Michlean Tire man in those commercials, that's my #1 not a movie, but wooo that one got me everytime as a kid.

mstrong posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 4:49 PM

Movies that i thought were scary when younger was The collosal man Freaks Hunchback of notre dame Exorcist Omen

Larry F posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 4:57 PM

Not a "horror" movie or "monster" movie per se, but I have to go with "Night of The Hunter" with Robert Mitchum as the preacher. Might be dating myself with that one, since I saw it when I was still a kid .... sometime ago, I must say. Of course, the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" Charles Laughton version would fit right in there. Still see it now and again on late late night/early morning TV. Larry F PS: Modern day, I'd have to go with the first encounter in the very first "Alien!"

Taura Noxx posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 4:58 PM

The first one I remember making an impression on me was Jaws. My mum took me to see that when I was a little girl and I have been fearful of whats in the water ever since. Oh and nightmare on elm street the first time I saw it when younger. And someone mentioned that real "type" people are scarier than monsters and I would have to agree. When I was a young teenager I saw a movie I think it was called Pieces or something like that, that was the most horrible movie I have ever seen.

maclean posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:00 PM

'not a character, but a single shot - there's THAT moment at the end of "Carrie"...' Ha-ha-ha! You just made me remember that when I saw that in the theater, the entire audience rose about a foot into the air... "All together now..... Jump!!" (me too). Speaking of walking out on movies, the only one I can remember walking out on was 'Independence Day' which I saw in an I-max theater when I was on vacation in New York. Even seats shaking and stupid sound effects couldn't hold me after the first dreadful hour. When I saw the president of the US of A climb into a fighter jet, I was out of there. I shoulda known better than to go in. mac

rodzilla posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:19 PM

Pakled- army of darkness....funny[same guy as did hercules and zena for tv] evil dead 2...has a few funny moments...mostly lighthearted but pretty gross in spots...ash is in it,and he has some great one liners evil dead[the original]........very scary movie!nothing to do with the other two other than that the plot is based on the same idea...i first saw this as a teen...in a cabin while on a school camping trip....don't know who picked the movie...really bad idea tho,nothing like having to walk through the woods back to your cabin after seeing that one!

ronmolina posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:34 PM

Wow I almost forgot about the Blob. That caused me to have nightmares for years. Ron

Larry F posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:37 PM

Yeah the original Blob - Young Steve McQueen, if I recall correctly. Didn't like the remake! Also, the original Night of the Living Dead isn't half bad! Certainly not half dead! Ha, I can remember my little brother - now in his mid 50s - just couldn't handle the original The Body Snatchers!

ronmolina posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:43 PM

Yeah it was Steve McQueen. Ron

A_ posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:46 PM

It

bloodsong posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 5:51 PM

heyas; the things that scare me are machines, actually. when i was little, i had terrible nightmares about the 'fembots' from the bionic woman/six million dollar man. and that venusian tank thing that tried to flatten steve austin. one of the creepiest damn movies is phantasm. i think there's something in it for everyone. i was always unnerved by the barrels with the little windows where the crushed humans could look out. my mom totally freaked when the kid cut off the tall man's fingers, and they started flopping around. it's so surreal, it's like a nightmare in itself. actually, i think ash in evil dead is the basis for duke nukem, not doom. duke gets all his one-liners like 'hail to the king, baby.' if you like to be scared, and you enjoy first-person shooters, you should try the games thief - the dark project, and thief 2 - the metal age. these have something for everyone, too: undead zombies, religious fanatics with large blunt weapons, spiders, and those nasty mechanical things. if you dont like first-person shooters, you can still try them out. you do NOT run around shooting everything in sight. in fact, you have to hide and sneak around without being seen or caught. much more nerve-wracking than a stand-up fight!

Little_Dragon posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 6:09 PM

Sue88: Belphor

I have to agree with Valandar about the original Nosferatu. I was no stripling when I first saw it, nor did it truly frighten me, but I found the character of Count Orlock particularly creepy. Those fingers ....

TheWanderer posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 6:18 PM

Hi Ailien 1 was the most suspensful of the lot 2 was a better action movie skip 3 four not too bad.. vampires in salems lot had me sharpening some of those wooden,african, tourist carvings ( Fork and spoon no good but the knife made a good weapon!) Doctor who was good for scares but the best was the green death those giant maggots were the worst I laughed when they became giant flys though (bad fx) most movies didn't scare me when I was a kid ok they made me jump I played too much D&D and Traveller to worry my trusty +4 deamon killer sword or my power armour and Fgmp14 had a way of dealing with most creatures! I still belive in the old addage tho' that with the possible exception of Lord of the rings the pictures are better on the radio and the sound and pictures are better in books just keep lovecraft out of my house!!! Dave

leather-guy posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 6:20 PM

"A Vincent Price film called "Doctor Phibes" or something like that..He fed some fat guy a pie made of the guys poodle and gave some women a perm with an electric perm helmet, frying her brains in the process." I think this was actually "Theatre of Blood" with Vincent price and Dianna Riggs. (I'm a longtime Vincent Price fan) Scarey? As a kid I recall nightmares after an animated short that aired on the Ed Sullivan Show that showed effects of a nuclear war - One image of a Deer being incinerated to a skeleton in mid-leap stayed with me for years. As an adult, I recall feeling unsettled watching "The Changeling" alone one night in the 80's. I love splatter and monster movies, but I started doing those effects as a hobby and sometimes professionally in the early 70's, and I rarely see anything but an actor with latex and Karo Syrup when I watch them. The staging, story, and editing is what makes them work.

Lovely Lady posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 6:38 PM

I cut my teeth on horror, weird, and suspense movies as a child as my mother was a fan, so I can't say what monster scares me as I am not "normal" (evil laugh), but I do remember as a small child being afraid of large monsters such as the original Godzilla, Reptillicus, and the like that that could step on your house and crush it. (I am showing my age I guess since I saw them at the movies on their first runs.) I would keep watch over the house roofs for a few days so I could runaway if I saw them. The movie, The Exorcist did not scare me as much as the book did. My mind can make way more scarier things than any movie. I tend to like psycholgical horror more than the physical.

Eowyn posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 6:56 PM

"IT" was terrible. Think of a CLOWN who kills kids? How scary is that? shudder

OpticalSingenoid posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 7:02 PM

For me, it was one of the first "WereWolf" movies. I've always been fascinated by wolves. But, Leather-Guy has "hit the nail"! My first viewing of the destructive power of a Nuclear Blast! I get Shivers instantly. As Spock would say: "Nothing Unreal Exists"... Marco

dragongirl posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 7:15 PM

I forgot about The Body Snatchers - the very eary B&W one and the Donald Sutherland versions both scare me. When I saw the Donald Sutherland version, (I live in a big noisy city) I kept sitting up at night, thinking I had heard that peculiar shrill sound they made after they had been "podded" - outside in the street somewhere. Shudder!

Netherworks posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 7:36 PM

Dr Phibes! Hehe, I bought this around Halloween and hadn't watched it yet (saw it long ago) runs to put tape in VCR. Bloodsong - haven't played Thief or Thief 2, but as far as first person shooters: Clive Barker's Undying is pretty scary as well as playing the marine in AVP 2.

Niles posted Sat, 15 March 2003 at 7:43 PM

Nosferatu creepy Dr. Phibes when I was a kid Omen, Thing, Silance of the Lambs And those creepy Hillbillies in Deliverance... that was very Damn scary to me.

elgyfu posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:21 AM

How about the wolf in 'An American Werewolf in London'. I don't mean the werewolf but the wolves at the beginning, the ones you don't see. There is just this guy, out on the Yorkshire moors. All alone. It is dark and misty. He is afraid. Then, from out of the cold, wet, mist comes a howl, a howl full of terror and frustration. Something is out there, something not human. He pulls his coat tighter around him, though no coat could keep this cold out. Then the sound comes again, louder, closer....... I want my mummy.

SWAMP posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:47 AM

The one movie that really scared the crap out of me...... The original JAWS.I used to do alot of skindiving before that. SWAMP

Fashionably_Late posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:57 AM

If you think horror movies scare you, try live horror theater! On my last visit to London I saw, "The Woman in Black", which has not a drop of blood and no 'monsters', and its performed entirely by two men... scared the crap out of me! My hands were shaking for the rest of the night, lol. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to the "real" horror movies, but the usual slasher stuff doesn't get to me. (Oddly enough, my boyfriend is a horror fanatic.)

I know there's quite a few people here in England... anybody else seen that show? Yeesh, those sound effects... And how do you guys feel about The Ring? I heard it was pretty well done, but haven't seen it myself.

Molly

bikermouse posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:01 AM

1: The third man was about an author guy who goes to post war Vienna, I think, only to find out that his friend had been run over by a car. He hears how three men picked up his friend and moved him over to the curb where supposedly the friend dies. But there are inconsistancies in the stories of some of the witnesses and finally the dead guy's cat tells the author what he needs to know inorder to unravel the mystery. That cat! 2: Claude Reins in Casa Blanca where he asks Bogart"So why did you come to casa Blanca Rick?" Bogart: "I came her for the Waters." Reines: "But there are no waters in Casa Blanca?" Bogart: "I was misinformed!" Bogart's travel agent scares me. 3: Charade: where this guy,(Cary Grant), pretends to be a private detective in order to help this girl find out where her missing husband is. He keeps getting caught in lies about his identity and keeps telling her more intricate lies about all these different investigative agencies he worked for - the more he lies the closer they get to the truth about the girls husband whom eventually discover is dead and continue to seach for the murderer. turns out that grant was the cop assigned to the case all along - and he gets the girl in the end. Now that's scarry. 4: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein: If the acting in that one doesn't scare you off monster movies nothing will. 5: Westworld: A gunslinger that never runs out of bullets? Peter Fonda was horrable in this one - bad scripting - that scared me.

FishNose posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:23 AM

When I was young - Hitchcock. Psycho, Birds etc. Scared me so much they put me off scary movies for life. Later in life, Alien 1 & 2. I don't see them as scary movies per se, rather as scifi. But scary as hell. :] Fish

c1rcle posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:28 AM

They showed the original Japanese versions of Ring & Ring2 a while back over here in the UK, they did send a little shiver down my spine, & they look much better than the new Americanised version :) I have copies of almost every Vampire film there is & quite a few Zombie films including a copy of The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue which always has me in fits of giggles. I love the Dusk till Dawn movies, but the first is my favourite of the 3, I hadn't seen any reviews about it when I first watched it so I didn't know what was going to happen & that bit when the Vamps first show themselves is a classic. Arachnaphobia made my skin crawl (I'm terrified of Spiders) I usually watch films sitting on the floor but 10 minutes into this one I was up on a chair with my feet up off the floor & any little shadow I saw made me jump. Doom, Thief1/2 & undying are the only games I've ever had to play with the lights on, they're the only ones to ever make me jump with fright.

voodoomessiah posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:35 AM

As a kid the first movie i remember scaring the living crap out of me was Jaws. I vividly remember waking from a nightmare that night and my bed felt like it was still bobbing in the ocean that was in my dream. The Blob, The Thing and Alien are distant contenders from jaws but they were creepy. As a horror fan, i enjoy (and by enjoy i mean i feel the need to shower after watching them) Hellraiser 1,2,3.

bikermouse posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:40 AM

c1rcle, back in the dos days there was a game based on jurassic park where at one point you got down and dirty with the raptors if you weren't careful and when the t-rex chases you you feel like you're really being chased - thank god I had them flares. Half life and counter strike were ok I didn't like how they ended, but better than doom for a thrill, decent was better than doom to me for that too. undying and thief I'll have to try.

SamTherapy posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:44 AM

Believe it or not, I have never been scared by a movie or TV show. Even as a kid, I knew they weren't real, so they never bothered me. Having said that, I think the outright best SF/Horror movie of all time is "Alien", and Giger's creature the absolute best every beastie. I don't much like the revamped versions used in the later ones, though. The original is still the best, IMO.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Roy G posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 5:31 AM

It! The Terror from Beyond Space The movie played on "Million Dollar Movie" every night for a week. I could never watch the whole thing, until finally Saturday there was a matinee. I was much braver during the daylight hours, and managed to watch it all the way through. It may be the movie that inspired Alien.

Scarab posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 6:05 AM

Two that have not been mentioned as yet, "The Day of the Triffids", the American version from the 1960s scared the piss out of me as a small child.. the original B&W version of "Night of the Living Dead". Scarab of the Living Popcorn

Spit posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 8:04 AM

The Wizard of Oz. That wicked witch of the East? South? I was carried screaming from the theatre. Was about 5 years old. Never forgotten that.

c1rcle posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 8:37 AM

I think you'll enjoy the Thief games more Bikermouse, they're more aimed at stealth than fighting, you really have to plan everything out, if you put a foot wrong then someone will come along to tap you firmly on the head :)

melanie posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 9:34 AM

I think I was a teenager when I saw an old movie on TV called Mr. Sardonicus, about this guy who robbed his father-in-law's grave to retrieve a winning lottery ticket that he had been buried with. When he opened the casket, the face of the dead man had stretched into a sardonic grin that scared him so badly his own face froze in that shape. It was the moment his wife turned on the light in a dark room and saw him that made me jump up to the ceiling and stick there! I've seen the film since then, and have to laugh because the makeup job was so bad it's almost comical, but that one little "shocker moment" just creeped me out. LOL Melanie

FlyByNight posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 10:28 AM

The Thing [Original] The Bodysnatchers [Original] Jaws Swimming in the ocean was never the same after that one. I no longer do it. If you could see what really was swimming in the water around you, you'd quit too. =o)

FlyByNight

OpticalSingenoid posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 11:21 AM

The first "WereWolf" movie, There was a Gypsy in it... I've always been fascinated by Wolves. Specially their Eyes! Wolves have this ablity to look their Prey in the eyes & read their soul... Ah! Arachnophobia! I Love Spiders! I had tarentulas & Black Widows as pets in my teens... Freaked my Mom. There is one movie that only "French" folks will know about. It's called "Aurore, l'enfant Martyre"(Translation: Aurore, the Beaten Child"). It's BW, based on a true story. And what scared me the most, was that my mom actually knew the real Aurore. So she actually comfirmed the validity of the movie & added a few xtras chivers... So, Moms that go bananas on their own children are very scary to me! We all have a "Dark Place" inside of us. We hide it well, even from ourselves. But, it's there! Ain't that there scariest thing? :-) Marco

queri posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 12:14 PM

Carnival of Souls is the scariest movie I ever saw-- the acting is terrible and it's so --just off-- that even that scares you like a nightmare you cant' wake up from. Very cheap movie, makeup the only special effects. About a woman who can't run away from the fact that she's really dead. Emily

Chailynne posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 1:33 PM

Omen The Birds Christine... I was babysitting late one night in a big old creaky house at the time and I had no idea what I was watching.

gulfmystery posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:45 PM

Years ago when I was about 11 I saw a film that gave me the total willy's about seaweed.....I went on a school trip to Wales just after seeing it and remember spending my entire vacation swimming in the sea wearing my white knee socks so my feet did not actually have to have skin contact with the weeds..Have no idea what film it was though haha

Crasher posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 5:05 PM

Children of the Damned, or Village of the Damned. Either one, I can't remember the exact name. But there were these children that had white skin and red eyes, from some toxic waste or some such. And they could start fires with their hands. When I was a child, I had nightmares about that. Oh, and Jack Nicholson from The Shining scared the piss out of me, too.

Little_Dragon posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 7:51 PM

gulfmystery:

Would that happen to be Endless Descent?

cinnamon posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 9:01 PM

The Exorcist for sure for me.

pigfish posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 1:05 AM

Hitchcock's "The Birds" is my earliest memory of movie terror. I still cringe when I have to walk by large flocks of noisy birds. Two other memorable scaries were "The Other" where the surviving twin took over the dead twin's identity (you weren't sure who was who till the end) and he carried around his dead brother's cut off finger. The other was an episode of Night Gallery or one of those where the assistant in a tailor's shop puts an enchanted gold suit on Hans, the mannikin with the cracked head, and he comes to life. I still see that cracked head in my nightmares some 20-30 years later. My big sister warned me where all the scary parts in Jaws were so it was years later before I actually saw them.

Scarab posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:57 AM

Speaking of "Night Gallery", do you remember the episode "The Big Surprise" with John Carradine?....best ending of anything I have ever seen, anywhere....blew my entire dorm floor off the couches and onto the floor. Scarab

DCArt posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:11 AM

Along with the Exorcist and the Omen, "The Silence of the Lambs" bothered me for days!

JohnRender posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:42 AM

I guess I'll be the one to say it: Why is this post in the Poser Forum? 2 days and 78 posts and none of them mention anything about Poser. Even the title of this thread says it "OT"... meaning that it belongs in the "OT Forum".

kbennett posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:46 AM

Umm, waves hand Sorry 'bout that. The odd one or two sometimes slip by unnoticed... Kaboom! Kev.

Sasha_Maurice posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:53 AM

Apocalypse Now really scared the crap out of me.

davo posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 11:41 AM

Movies that "scared" me: As kid: Jaws, Alien and the first Poltergiest movie (that damn clown and the tree) As teenager: the first Nightmare on Elm Street and this one movie that I don't know the title of, it was a B movie and starred Martin Landou. It was about this alien creature, corny movie, but toward the end, Landou and the creature were in this warehouse and it was all dark and things popped out at you. As adult: Event Horizon and The Ring

JettBoy posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 12:09 PM

Anyone remember the old 60s or early 70s flick "The Legend of Hell House" with Roddy McDowell? Saw it with my mom and bro at a drive-in triple feature as a very young kid and it terrified me to the point of tears.

Recently rented the DVD of "The Ring". Not more than 5 minutes after the film ended our phone rang. My wife shrieked and tossed her glass of tea into the air. She wouldn't let me answer it, but a little while later I checked the voicemail only to discover it was my mother-in-law rather than a message regarding my imminant, horrific death (not that there is all that much difference).

Jcleaver posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 1:58 PM

Creature from the Black Lagoon was my scariest, as I saw it when I was young. Also, The Birds, first time I saw it there was a power outage right at the most intense scene and i never saw the ending. (For that matter, I still have never seen the ending). Also, must mention The Exorcist, although I'll agree the book is scarier by far.

Scarab posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 3:41 PM

In response to JohnRender.... ...we were all traumatized by horror movies as children and young adults....that's why we have all sought therapeautic refuge in Poser. Scarab

littlechris posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 3:57 PM

The scariest film I've ever seen is "Frenchmans Farm" its a crap film really but it scared the hell out of me, the scariest mosters in a movie for me were the wheelers out of "Return to Oz" pretty pathetic but I was only 5 or 6. A lot of you seem to like Stephen King movies but they're nothing compared with the books, I saw Rose Red the other day and really enjoyed it but I thought the movie version of It was rubbish (I saw it after reading the book

hmatienzo posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:33 PM

Dracula with Christopher Lee when I was a teen, Nightmare on Elm Street still scares me. So does the clown in "It". And let's have a show of hands... who stopped swimming at the beaches after Jaws except for me???

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

Rockatansky posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:47 PM

In no particular order,,,, Michael Myers from Halloween...that William Shatner mask, the heavy breathing , the way he stares at the victims after offing them, his sheer relentlessness...scary stuff indeed!!! Bruce the shark from Jaws....teeth,teeth and more teeth!! The Peter Cushing zombie from Tales from the Crypt (the 70's movie)...he pulls out hearts...'nuff said. Fluffy from Creepshow....lives in a crate and leaps out unexpectedly to tear off your face!!! The Birthday Zombie from Creepshow. Resides in the creepiest graveyard ever...removes heads...makes them into cakes! The gremlin on the wing in The Twilight Zone: The Movie....you know its going to be staring in the window...but it still makes you jump when you see it! Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre)...he's as twisted as hell and carries a chainsaw...what is there not to be afraid of? The Hound of the Baskervilles (Basil Rathbone version)...not sure if it was the dog or simply the eerie setting that scared me. Those foggy moors with boggy bits that you can disappear into. That vampire kid in Salem's Lot, who floats up to the window and scratches at the glass. This one is giving me the creeps just thinking about it! The Wicked Witches and the talking trees from The Wizard of Oz (not the flying monkeys though - I always kinda liked them). The meths drinkers in Theatre of Blood (they're the ones that help Vincent Price and Diana Rigg to exact revenge on the theatre critics). A weird bunch of crazies, one and all! Any hostile natives from Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films. They used to spear the luggage bearers who would let out blood curdling screams. I seem to remember one film where someone was tied between a couple of bent over trees, and when the ropes were cut they were torn in two. Fu Manchu...my god he used to scare the hell out of me. He'd behead his enemies or drown them in watertight chambers. Surprised no-one else has mentioned him.

Hawkfyr posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 6:41 PM

"I checked the voicemail only to discover it was my mother-in-law rather than a message regarding my imminant, horrific death (not that there is all that much difference)." LMAO@JettBoy Recently,I saw a movie that was on really late that freaked me out a bit. It was about an Insane Asylum,where there were torturous operations and experiments being done on the patients. It inmates took over the asylum and it caught fire,but all the windows and doors were locked with some serious security lockdown mechanism. Everyone burned to death. Years later 6 or 7 people were invited to spend a night in the old hospital,and got a million dollars if they could.(not a very original plot there) Well,they didn't have much choice because the locking mechanism engaged and they were stuck there. Naturally(with all scary movies),these people would set out on their own to try to find a way out and would encounter disturbing scenarios,and eventually,death. The two survivors ultimately discover that all those invited were descendants of the original hospital staff that participated in the horrific experiments. I can't recall the name but Jackie says it was "House On Haunted Hill". Perhaps it was because it was late,but that movie kept me awake that night ,long after it was over. I think Insane people,and ghost/phantoms, scare me more than monsters do. Silence of the lambs did a great job of scaring me. Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Hawkfyr posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 6:43 PM

Oh...and as a kid it was: Soilent Green Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

willowelf posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:48 PM

The Blob Gawd for YEARS I was scared to sleep. My heater vent was close to the ceiling just like in the movie and I was soooooooo scared.

Engine3429 posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:28 PM

"It was about an Insane Asylum,where there were torturous operations and experiments being done on the patients." Haven't seen that but think part of it may have been filmed at the abandoned (now demolished) Essex Mountain Sanotarium (or something close to it). There are a few sites on the place that might have info. For me it'll go back to the initial post with the 70s movie 'Gargoyles'. Lived out in the country at the time and watched it at a friends house. Made an interesting walk home in the middle of the night after it was over. Like all of them, they now seem more funny than creepy.

cambert posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 7:21 AM

The flying monkeys (Wizard of Oz) and the floating vampire kid at the window (Salem's Lot) both gave me the creeps. When I was a kid, I used to hide behind the sofa during the credits of Doctor Who; the monsters didn't scare me but I couldn't cope with Jon Pertwee's face streaming towards me from the depths of space. The ones that really did it for me as a little kid - waking up screaming, the whole business - were the Blue Meanies from The Yellow Submarine. For me, they're still the very essence of that nightmare quality that chills the blood.

beleth posted Thu, 03 April 2003 at 10:45 PM

speaking of creeping movies and F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, if you haven't seen it, check out Shadow of The Vampire. it adds a new level of creepy (that only Willem Dafoe could deliver) to Nosferatu. http://us.imdb.com/Details?0189998