Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce versions

TygerTyger opened this issue on Apr 15, 2003 ยท 4 posts

TygerTyger posted Tue, 15 April 2003 at 10:57 AM

I was given Bryce 2 a long time ago, but was unable to render since my PC wasn't strong enough. Well, now I have a computer that does well and renders that could have taken days now take less than 5 minutes. However, I noticed that Bryce is now at version 5. Is Bryce 2 worth using? I am not able to upgrade right now and prolly not for quite awhile. Obviously, Bryce 2 is nowhere near the quality of Bryce 5. Thanks, Tyger

EricofSD posted Tue, 15 April 2003 at 12:59 PM

I started with Bryce 3 and all I can say is that B5 is quite a bit nicer. Same feel to the interface, trees added, lightlab, metaballs and a much better render engine that has the speed settings you are used to and the quality settings for beefier computers. Skyz and materials room seem to be pretty much the same. Considering the price on ebay, I'd say its well worth the upgrade for ya.

Rayraz posted Tue, 15 April 2003 at 1:30 PM

Bryce 2 has a different material-lab and no animation and no volumes etc, but you'll find that you can still make some nice images with it. One option I really miss in Bryce5 is the ability to set a textures ambience or diffusion etc to higher than 100. That was possible in Bryce2, but it's impossible since the new matlab in Bryce3D. Bryce3D is free, and it adds volume textures and animation. Plus it renders a bit faster. It's worth searching for a download or buying a magazine with Bryce3D on the cover. The only thing I'd personally really miss in Bryce 2 or 3D would be the skylab, trees, metaballs and the premiumrender. But there's still really nice things that can be made with bryce 2 or 3D.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

TygerTyger posted Tue, 15 April 2003 at 3:46 PM

wow! those prices aren't bad at all! Thanks everyone for the feedback `;~)