Forum: Community Center

Subject: question about the galleries.....

brainmuffin opened this issue on May 31, 2000 ยท 10 posts

brainmuffin posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 2:10 PM

There are 9,142 images in the galleries, dating back to 02/99. If these images average 1/2 a meg each, that's close to or more than 1/2 a gigabyte of space... Is anybody actually going back that far in the galleries to look? I don't. I check out the new stuff every few days, and if I see something I like, I print it out and hang it on my wall. Maybe the galleries should only go back a few months. Better still, maybe the images should be hosted on another site, like the freestuff. And as for freestuff, there are 1,388 things in there, going back to 02/99. There's bound to be a few hundred broken links in there, don't they take up space as well? My opinion is this: Make the galleries go back only 6 months or so. Limit the amount of gallery uploads per member to 3 or 4 per week. No test renders or WIP, post them to the appropriate forum for comments. Host the files someplace else. And instead of thinking about just charging money for one or two sections of the site, how about a $10.00 per year membership fee. If you keep all 15,000 members, that's $150,000 a year, that should be more than enough to pay for this place, and if we can't afford $10.00 per year, (I'm struggling to support my family on social security, and even I could afford it) Then we'll just have to live without it.