Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Woo-hoo! More new red hair textures- complete your collection!

JohnRender opened this issue on Apr 28, 2003 ยท 69 posts

JohnRender posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:42 AM

It's nice to know that there is more red-hair textures in the free stuff. I didn't see any last week, so I was getting a little concerned. Had our favorite red hair texture maker finally run out of red hair textures to make? Anything but that! Fear not! There's no need to open Photoshop and spend 2 minutes making your own textures. Here's the collection so far: 4/25/03: Red Tex for Minerva's Hair 4/24/03: Red tex for Koz's Wave Hair 4/14/03: Red Hair for Lourdes Hair 4/11/03: Red Hair for DAZ Wedge Cut 4/3/03: Red Hair for Koz's Long Hair 3/31/03: Red Hair for Koz's Alice Hair 3/21/03: Red Hair for Koz's Rei Hair 3/20/03: Red Hair for Koz's Kyoko Hair 3/18/03: Red Hair for Las Vegas Hair 3/10/03: Red Hair for Koz's Pony Tail 3/9/03: Red Hair for Koz's Short Hair 2/26/03: Red Hair for Reika Hair 2/17/03: Red Hair for Koz's Wave hair Try to collect them all... or wait a few weeks until they're reposted again! I don't know about you, but there are still some missing. I need a Red Texture for DAZ's UpDp Hair. Oh, wait, never mind, I just finished making one myself. And how about a Red Tex for the DAZ's Flip Hair? Oh, wait, I just finished that one too.

Darkginger posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:53 AM

Those of us who grow our own red hair appreciate this concerted and persistent effort to popularise the colour. Move over blondes! For too long have we redheads been cowering in your shade.. ;)

Phantast posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:56 AM

What about Red Hair for Female Hair 3?

Alias posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:58 AM

Eowyn posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 11:13 AM

I thought the admins were supposed to do something about this?

Jim Burton posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 11:32 AM

Gee, I feel so left out, only one is for my hair! Of course most of mine (including the LV hair) already comes with a red texture, the LV hair actually has two, I think. ;-)

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 12:25 PM

How about some red hair for cats!!? Ohh...nope Daio already did that! A very nice red texture for cats I might add!:) I'm about "red dead" when it comes to the "reposts"....I must say.

JoeyAristophanes posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 12:35 PM

Seriously, has anyone asked this guy why he reposts so many times? I'm assuming there has to be some sort of reason beyond just getting page hits. Any idea?

EvoShandor posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 1:02 PM

Well, I always thought it was for those who don't have access to a photoshop-type program. Obviously folks are downloading them, so what the problem? Evo

Kelderek posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 1:04 PM

He gets flamed for this every once in a while. Last time it happened, he replied and from what I remember he was quite upset that people actually questionned his re-posting habits... It's quite easy to see the problem: If every free-stuff contributor re-posted their entire collection once a week... Well, let us pray that not too many follow his example!

Dizzie posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 1:21 PM

the admins made it clear in our last thread about this, that the problem is at the bottom of their To Do list...

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 1:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.byrontaylor.com/poser/reikared.html

While reposting may be at the bottom of their list, their rules states the following: "The links MUST BE TO FREE ITEMS. Any links found to non-free content will be immediately deleted". If you click on the link above, you can see where it takes you....a grey area to be sure, since the free item is there, but definitely also a link to "non-free content". These "reposts" are being done IMO, to promote the store. I can see an occasional "repost", and frankly I don't even have a problem linking those reposts to ones store, but my god this is all the time....two, three times a week or better.....just like SPAM! I guess if the "reposts" get annoying enough, people can always stop buying his products. That might get the message across better than anything.

Manikin Flesh posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 2:03 PM

I think another question is why someone would persist in doing something that aggravates people. Compared to what it was the amount of new freestuff items has slowed to a crawl because of the new policy of reviewing the items. To have items that are continually, ad nauseum, reposted can only further slow up the process and for no real benefit to anyone other then btsculptor. Also I believe there is an open hostile arrogance involved suggesting that he isn't bound by the same rules as everyone else. I would imagine if everyone started reposting all their freestuff items for a week or two that this would start ascending up the admins to do list.

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 2:15 PM

Finally (and then I'm done complaining), it's not like these things disappear from free stuff....all you have to do is search for "red" and his is the first thing that pops up! So for those who really need this (don't have a photoshop program or whatever)....it is really pretty easy to find without reposting it ad nauseum. Once you find one, you can go to his store and download all his freestuff to your hearts content.

FishNose posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 2:21 PM

It's been going on for a long time, a year at least.

iamonk posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 2:43 PM

Let me get this straight...

The complaint here is not about free textures, but all of the reposts of the SAME damn textures, week after week???!!!

Wouldn't want anyone to misread something, or read something other than what is trying to be said. Sarcasm around here often goes unrecognized.

Hair textures other than the standard black, blonde, and brown are much appreciated, but please consider the fact that reposting 5 times in a month may drive someone to the edge.

JFStan posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 3:02 PM

[Hair textures other than the standard black, blonde, and brown are much appreciated, but please consider the fact that reposting 5 times in a month may drive someone to the edge.]

I couldn't agree more.. It's also a little convenient that each hair texture thumbnail also features a texture and/or character set for sale. Coincidence...?

Product promotion is fine, but hammering away at it like that is a little much, IMHO. Glad someone else shares my opinion. :)

-=jfs=-

TrekkieGrrrl posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 4:18 PM

spampic.jpg (yep it's a link too)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

HeWhoWatches posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 4:25 PM

Back when spam first started appearing on Usenet, it became obvious that some sort of objective standard would be needed for deciding what was spam and what wasn't, since most of us in the spam-fighting community are virulently anti-censorship. Eventually what was established by consensus was the Breidbart Index (BI). The BI is calculated by taking the number of times the same or substantively identical article has been posted to Usenet over a 45 day rolling window, multiplied by the square root of the number of newsgroups to which it has been crossposted. A BI of 20 or higher was considered to be spam. By using this formula, automated cancelbots were created which could generate a cancel message for each piece of spam without any human judgment necessary. Perhaps this is what Renderosity needs?

Axe_Gaijin posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 4:28 PM

NOOO not the Spampicture! Next we'll have vikings chanting "Spam spam spam"followed by a Lumberjack singin a song about wearing women's clothes....

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 4:32 PM

I think you've been watching too much commercial TV Axe! :)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 4:36 PM

hehehehe

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 5:44 PM

Is that what you watch over there!!?? And I thought American TV was strange! :)

iamonk posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 5:56 PM

Hey, Monty Python is not STRANGE! American Idol... Survivor... Anna Nicole... These are strange(to be polite) What ever happened to The Young One's???

macmullin posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:08 PM

It got replaced with the "Dead Zone." :-)

sandoppe posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:26 PM

Well.....Monty Python is sort of strange.....but so are those others you mentioned.....in fact the others are just plain stupid. That's why I never watch commercial televison. I only watch C-Span. Is that exciting or what!

iamonk posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:31 PM

Never heard of it. I used to tape them when MTV aired them(that was so long ago), but the tapes have seen better days. Oh well.

Little_Dragon posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 7:28 PM

What ever happened to the Young One's???

Well ... Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson (and later, Christopher Ryan) moved on to the TV series Bottom. They also starred in the short-lived Filthy, Rich and Catflap, along with Nigel Planer.

I lost track of them after '95.

The complete Young Ones series is currently available as a DVD box set.

LaurieA posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:56 PM

"Hey, Monty Python is not STRANGE! American Idol... Survivor... Anna Nicole... These are strange(to be polite)" I totally agree!!!! And I'm an American...LOL. Please, could someone stop the madness of reality shows!! It's killing me; I hate to turn on the TV anymore. Give me a good exciting episode of MAS*H. And when nothing's on, there's always my Looney Tune tapes...hehehehehe ;o). Sorry, had to get that out ;o). Laurie

pimpinwillye posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 10:22 PM

Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmonson are still doing Bottom, they did a heap of live stage shows and are planning on doing another one really soon. They created the movie Guest House Paradiso and have also done a lot of cameo appearances in several shows. Nigel Planer......got no idea what he's doing. The guy who played Mike in the young ones (can't remember his name [my mind is going]) actually had a fatal heart attack about 5 years ago. (or was that Nigel Planer?)

tasquah posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 11:09 PM

Lol ernyoka1 looked what you done to this thread with your inocent can of questionable meat by products.

FishNose posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 11:51 PM

Was the best that could happen to the thread, the red texs are most depressing, and extremely un-Python. Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans and spam! Hey! Anybody know - are the original Python shows available on DVD? My old VHS tapes are really shabby by now..... There are 45 shows in all if I remember correctly. Plus the German shows and the commemorative show. Would make a nice DVD box. 18 hours of it, imagine watching it all in one go. Where's my padded cell!!!!! Anybody remember the Goon Show? Spike Milligan was the bloke who started the rot, created the compost that Monty Python grew up in. :] Fish

elgyfu posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:05 AM

Well come on BTSculptor. Just tell us WHY you keep reposting. You were very defensive and so must have a good reason. You surely agree that if we all reposted freebies every few weeks then the system would be ridiculously clogged up. You know there is a perfectly good search system. We are all very gratefull for freebies, we understand that they are unconditional gifts. But this is obviusly anoying people and does seem suspicious. So simply, why?

pimpinwillye posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:09 AM

I'm listening to the goon show right now! I've got 128 episodes on my computer and still collecting (not even half way there)

FishNose posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:30 AM

Hey, hey, hey!!!!!! pimpin, where did you find those? Huh? Huh? Huh? Is there a site someplace... I have about 10 or so on tape. :] BottleBleu

sparrowheart posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:47 AM

"And now for something completely different..." might be a new lead-in for the reposts of red hair textures. Think? Oh well...my feeble attempt to tie in Python with the Red Hair Repost dilemma. Little Dragon, thanks much for the information about the Young Ones DVD set. I want to get that! Kimberly

crowhat posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 7:25 AM

I certainly agree that this party needs their own category. Maybe something like "Most Eyes Rolled At" or simply: "Pointless Links". Although perhaps room could be found there for the "Redneck Slogans" T-shirt textures and the "Really-Silly-Restrictions" offerings as well.

JohnRender posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 7:53 AM

Remember, this guy is setting the precedent by reposting the re-hair textures. If he can repost his stuff over and over and have the link go to a mostly for-sale page, then everyone else should feel free to do it also.

hecate posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:25 AM

Couldn't resist, even if it's OT in the thread- The Complete monty Python Flying Circus is indeed available on DVD, and as a boxed set, even. I got it this Christmas past, an absolute must-have for any Monty Python fan!

adele posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:43 AM

You people need to get a handle on your ADS. While this thread was careening of into TV trivia, ( thats television not transvestites), I'm just trying to help you stay focused. Our hero has again reposted another item. Thats one a day so far this week. So the thread ends on topic, unless a debate starts on the pros and cons of Second City TV and whether John Candy is really dead. Bon Apppetit

Crescent posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 12:29 PM

Oh, this hasn't gone unnoticed. More information as it becomes available. Cheers! Cres The publically neutral mod.

Lawndart posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:10 PM

Can somebody post a red texture for a box of spam? big 'Ol cheesy grin

JohnRender posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:42 PM

Personally, I'm waiting for the Red Tex for the Poser 4 Angelfish and Raptor! Oops, I think I just gave the guy more ideas when he runs through all the hair styles. Coming soon- red tex for the P4 Male and Female! Red Tex for Vicky 3 and Mike!

FishNose posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:05 PM

hecate, thanks for info - I'll be looking for that box! Is it ALL 4 SERIES? Really complete? Wow. :] Fish

Jim Burton posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 4:37 PM

You know, I just looked at a couple of them, BTW, they are pretty clearly just the original textures recolored. But you can't redistribute things like that without permission, remember! How are these getting past the "new" system?

Penguinisto posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 5:32 PM

...that reminds me - I could use a Red tex for Vicky's various pubic hair props... no sense in having all my vickies be "bottle-reds", is there? /P

fauve posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 5:33 PM

True enough, Penguinisto... when it comes to Vicki, more often than not "the carpet don't match the drapes."

Crescent posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:56 PM

If any are just recolorations of other people's works, please let us know. We try to catch them, but we're not perfect. Thanks! Crescent

lmckenzie posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 1:48 AM

Has anyone considered that perhaps aliens are commanding him to do this? He might also be possesed by the ghost of Lucille Ball.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Marque posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 8:08 AM

Boycott his store and it will stop. Marque

RealitysPoison posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 9:01 AM

O.K. I usually stay out of this one. But I have a question. Under the "new" system, doesn't freestuff have to be approved? So why not just not approve reposts unless there was a change? Make them tell you what has changed before the repost is approved. Or am I misunderstanding. Haven't really paid that close attention to the new freestuff changes.

EvoShandor posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 9:44 AM

What is the idea behind a site link anyways...besides advertising for your other products? I haven't noticed any change in the freestuff with the new approval process. I guess they are supposed to be screening for copyright violations or something... Att I know is they take longer to go up... Evo

EvoShandor posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 9:46 AM

er...that should be "All I know..."

Crescent posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 11:35 AM

Some web providers do not allow direct linking from off-site. That's why we allow links to web pages. We do check for copyright violations, and we have caught some, but an occasional one might slip by. I think whoever approved these files might have thought that the files had been checked previously since it is listed as a repost.

shogakusha posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 11:55 AM

OK, I've stayed out of this one until now. Apart from the prospect of these TEXs being copywrite violations, I have to ask why are these hair textures being offered anyway? It is obvious from the way they are linked to the same page as the artist's product page that it is a method for improving business. I see three reasons for freestuff: 1- outright generosity, like our Japanese friend who give to the community with nothing in return but our praise and thanks. 2- testing the waters, new modelers andtexturers who aren't sure if their work is up to snuff and want to get opinions or check popularity before venturing into the marketplace. 3- advertising, show us what you can do and make a name for yourself. A great (but sad) example is BAT. He has long produced some of the best freebies I have seen until his trust was abused. He is still generously offering items for free for TenTen, but has now ventured into the marketplace. Does anyone doubt the quality of his products? I think not. He has earned a reputation that will serve him well. What I don't get is why hair textures? I don't see any hair textures or hair models in this artist's marketplace offerings. Offering hair textures in this case (and reposting them) doesn't really seem to fall into any of the above categories. Just my 2 cents.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 2:32 PM

The textures are just bait (IMO) In the same way as shops are offering for instance cheap coffee, and then expect you to buy sugar, wine, milk, cheese ect. while you're there. In other words lure the customer who came for coffee to also buy a lot of other things. Some places coupons work that way. They're not allowed here, so I have no real expirience in that matter, but from what I've heard they work in a similar way. Remember, discounts are never given becourse the shop owner wants to be NICE *). They're given to get you to the store. Personally, I waited a long time before offering anything for sale and in some way I still don't really want to charge for my stuff, but on the other hand they have now given me a chance to get some models that my budget wouln't allow me to get otherwise :o) so.. I live with it G But still the ratio of my free stuff compared to my store is 10:1. I think that's ok :o) *) Some people on Renderosity fall outside this category, they actually DO give away stuff just to be nice. But then again, most merchants here do this as a hobby where you can "afford" to be purely altruistic.

crowhat posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 2:52 PM

Hmm...copy-right violations, you say? The two views are of a section of Kozaboro's original "wave_darkTX", (Lightened in Photoshop to show detail), beside an oddly similar section from btsculptor's "wave_redTX". Submitted for your consideration, mods.

RealitysPoison posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 4:06 PM

1. Regarding site links. The people whose files I host use site links to my site. They have a hosted files page where it goes to. Why? Because of my server. Servers take quite a different view on whether those 1000 downloads yesterday came from my site or were linked from off-site. Many servers won't allow file repositories, which is what they would consider that. (Of course, I don't make people look at my store items why they are there. Heck, until yesterday, the store link didn't even go anywhere. lol) 2. Regarding the copyright deal. Yes it looks similar. But can we not flay the guy before we deal with him privately? Remember, we have gone there before with other people and then found out they received permission. (Yes, I agree it is obnoxious. No, I won't support someone who annoys me. lol.) But make sure we have all the facts before this turns into a very ugly copyright argument again.

adele posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 4:53 PM

The issue here is one of someones complete disregard of following an etiquette that everyone else adhers to. Specifically the constant reposting of the same items. No one else does that. Further, a total disregard for public opinion by reposting 2 items in two days. This brought a focus on the freebies, that previously had not occured. There was a public outcry about this about a week ago and btsculptor ignored it. Then he decided to apparently reaggravate the issue by reposting again. So, looking more critically at his free items was brought on by himself. So it appears all these constant reposting of hair textures are the results of about 30 seconds of work using photoshops variation function. RealitysPoison point is a good one, except for the fact, if he had permission it should have been stated that in the readme. I guarantee he will not stop until the admins set up rules disallowing it. Then the next phase will be seeing the same items without the repost verbiage added.

Jim Burton posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 8:28 PM

Crescent nicely contacted me about the ones I looked at, with Mike's hair especially, there was no doubt from the way the texture was laid out it was a modification of the DAZ original. You know, as one of these was a rework of mine, I normally wouldn't mind something like this done to my own for-sale stuff. May hair is made complicated in the mesh so the textures are simple anyway, they are just stripes. I also normally wouldn't go public on stuff like this, but I think a point had to be made. I think at the very least people that use files like this as a straight lead into a "buy my stuff" page need to be held to the highest standards. Don't get me wrong, I do see any problem with the posting of freestuff intended to get people to your site (I might even have done that myself! ;-) ), just like I said, that kind of stuff must be held to the highest standards, and "borrowing" doesn't cut it. And he never ask me for permission, anyway!

PeterWahoo posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 10:31 PM

Has anyone ever thought to ask "Why RED hair," and not blonde, brunette, etc?! I see nothing wrong with links to a site. That way folks know "the source," and can add the link to their Favorites or Bookmarks list. By why in the heck does this guy keep on doing this?! How many of us are so irritated that we've already decided to boycott him?!

RealitysPoison posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 10:45 PM

Then by all means, someone needs to get on that. If he is just modifying tex's without approval, then I retract what I said. Thanks for clarifying that Jim. I just hate to see everyone cry "thief" when there might be things we don't know. But since at least some of them are now copy violations, cry away! ;) Never understood why people "borrow" without asking anyway. When probably at least 75% of the time the author will give you permission. So instead of taking the chance to do it legal, they just rip it off. sigh I just don't understand people sometimes.

JohnRender posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 8:53 AM

I agree with the above posters- let's keep the whole "copyright violation" issue to a minimum until we can tell whether these textures were made with permission or not. Yes, the permission should be in the readme file that comes with the texture, but its non-inclusion is not enough evidence to cry "copyright violation!" The real issue is why the guy keeps reposting the stuff (when it's irrating more and more people), and why the admins haven't done anything to stop it (since it sets a dnagerous precedent that will allow everyone to repost their own stuff, ad infinitum).

PeterWahoo posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 11:13 AM

Tee-hee, I actually bought one item from BTScluptor. I couldn't figure out why the Millennium Kid's teeth looked dirty. I got out the magnifying glass, and discovered a copyright notice written across the teeth! I notified the guy privately, and he said none of his beta testers ever saw the problem. I said "All you had to do was make the kid smile. Would you like me to be one of your beta testers?!" I received no reply to that comment, but did receive the corrected texture map ASAP.

Kendra posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 11:52 PM

Well, it is easy for something like that to slip by. Beta testers don't guarantee an absence of flaws. I believe he has a passion for red hair. Nothing wrong with that.
I seriously doubt he's violating copyright laws though. I'm sure he knows better. :)

...... Kendra

TrekkieGrrrl posted Fri, 02 May 2003 at 12:41 PM

Well Kendra, apparently he IS indeed violating copyright laws, as Jim Burton recognized one of his own textures, only coloured red. And he said clearly that he had NOT been asked for permission. Therefore a clear copyright violation. "I'm sure he knows better": Well in a way so am I. I am also sure he knows that his eternal repostings pisses off more and more people. Seems to me that he just don't give a flying f*** about wha people think. and that's actually the part that puzzles me. Why would a merchant alienate all his potential customers?!

Kendra posted Fri, 02 May 2003 at 1:52 PM

Ah, I missed that Jim had one that he obviously didn't give permission on. Well, I hope he deals with that because I would still like to think that a merchant would know better.

...... Kendra

crowhat posted Fri, 02 May 2003 at 4:30 PM

This is a comparison of Kozoburo's "kozlong_blondetx" texture for his "Koz's Long Hair", and btsculptor's "kozlong_redtx", upper left corner. Below these are portions of the text from each. I must say that I suspect it took me longer to cobble up this pic than it took him to generate the texture; I can see little difference except the tint. The read-me with btsculptor's version claims the copyright, with another admonition to: "Have fun, but remember, this is copyrighted work". Yes, somehow I do think he knows what he's doing. I just don't see why he has to do it so often.

Crescent posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 11:57 AM

[There was a problem with the URL that crowhat posted, so we had to delete the post. Here's what crowhat posted with the corrected URL:]

There have been developments.The notorious red stuff has been pulled. According to Lyrra:"The downloads were temporarily suspended due to copyright concerns. The matter is being investigated." This has been posted to a previous thread on this subject: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1195024.(Note: that thread has now been locked.)