Forum: Photoshop

Subject: PS7 -- Need to speed up file saves...

mmitchell_houston opened this issue on May 07, 2003 ยท 12 posts

mmitchell_houston posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 7:08 PM

I'm working with some HUGE images (9000 x 15000 pixels) for some posters. Average Photoshop file size is about half a gig. I'm running Photoshop 7 on Win2000 with a 2 GHz P4 with 785 MB of RAM, and this thing is taking SEVEN MINUTES to save the file. I've tested the 7200 RPM hard drive, and there it is performing perfectly. I've got my scratch disks set up (primary is the E drive, secondary is the C drive). I've got it set to use 75% available memory. I'm getting exhausted waiting for this thing to save. Earlier I didn't save as often as I should have and lost an hour's work. --------------------- What is PS doing when it is "Generating full-resolution Preview"? Is this necessary? Can I shut it off? I have turned off Image Previews in the Preferences. Is there anything I can do to speed things up? Honestly, if I have to spend 7 minutes saving the file, and I need to save three or four times per hour, you can see how this is going to destroy my productivity (if I save every 20 minutes, that means each hour will spend 21 minutes -- or about 34% of my time -- waiting for the damn computer to save the file). This is really driving me crazy, and help will be greatly appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity