Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Uninstalling Poser, and Starting Over Due to Stuff All Over The Place

norm1153 opened this issue on May 28, 2003 ยท 13 posts

norm1153 posted Wed, 28 May 2003 at 5:11 AM

Greetings! Like most of us, I have downloaded free objects, purchased from Renderosity, Daz3D, poserpro's, belong to Poserworld, etc., and etc. As I continue to add characters, props, clothing, (especially clothing!) things have gotten rather muddled up. I took a good, hard look yesterday. I've got clothing in the Figures area, figures in the Clothing area, props in the Hair area, and so on. I think I trusted the installation processes too much. I put up with it for awhile, because I usually knew where to find something. But lately I'm just getting lost all the time. Most likely "lost" items are MATs, BUM files, textures and the occasional OBJ file. What to do? I figure on uninstalling, and starting over fresh. After the basic installation, I'm going to make sure I know where each filetype was put by Poser on installation (got a pretty good idea already, but it won't hurt), BEFORE I add anything, then install By Hand each object I've already got. ZIP files I'll unzip to a temp directory, move everything out of there to where it's supposed to go, clean out any remainder junk (i.e., readmes) in the temp file, and move on to the next one. Another culprit is mis-named folders created during the object's installation, especially when you have more than 1 thing from the same vendor. In such cases, I plan to create a "master" folder for that vendor for each object type, (hair, prop, clothing, etc.), and work down from there. I figure a half bottle of Excedrin and about 2 good days should get me through this. And yes, I have bought certain unnamed install products that are supposed to know where this stuff goes. I don't know who to blame anymore, and I'm not trusting anything. (Don't have control of Daz though, since those are EXE's.) I'm just wondering if anyone else has decided to do the same thing, what their thoughts were, and any pitfalls to avoid, that would cost time. I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day. Thanks in advance, for any replies!