Forum: Bryce

Subject: materials problem

ebsmooth opened this issue on Jun 05, 2003 ยท 5 posts

ebsmooth posted Thu, 05 June 2003 at 11:00 AM

hello all, i seem to be having a problem with some of the materials in the metal and glass section. when i select any materials from either of those to they come up as black. usually the only way for me to get them back to normal is to restart bryce or restart my computer. after that if i saved an image with this issue it will return with black textures, but if i do a new scene it will be gone. has anybody run into this before? if so, how did you resolve it. thanks for the help! eb

dan whiteside posted Thu, 05 June 2003 at 12:09 PM

Do you have the update ( 5.0.1.326 )? Another thing to try is to set the "Launch to default state" button in the Edit>>Preferences... OS menu and restart Bryce. That'll always put Bryce back to it's default state. If you're still having problems I'd say re-install Bryce (ick). For what it's worth, I've never had anything quite like that happen (Mac and PC). HTH; Dan

ebsmooth posted Thu, 05 June 2003 at 12:27 PM

i have the 5.01 update. i just checked the corel website and it is the update i have. i will try the set default state. i hope to not have to reinstall, like you said ick. but if that is what i must do then so be it. thanx for the help dan! eb

Rayraz posted Fri, 06 June 2003 at 2:09 AM

If you re-install don't forget to back-up the textures sky's models etc that you imported. After the re-installation you'll have to re-import them again. I had a problem like this way back when I was still using a 300MHz AMD K6II with 16MB EDO RAM (66MHz) and Bryce 2. I found no real solution to it. But my quess back then was that it was a memory issue, because it only happened on the more complex scenes.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

ebsmooth posted Fri, 06 June 2003 at 8:53 AM

that is pretty much the reason i do not want to re-install. i have a lot of imported models and textures that would be a pain in the butt to go through all that again. my system specs are, p4 2.53ghz @ 2.80ghz with 512megs of high performance ddr pc2100 and a radeon 9700 pro. so i would hope that is not the problem, but you never know. you are correct though, it usually only happens during the more complicated scenes when movement of objects starts to get slow and unresponcive. hey i could always use this as an excuse to upgrade;). thanks fot the tip rayraz, i would not have thought to back that stuff up, in my frustration i would have just kicked it all to the curb and started over! oh, one thing that did help was setting bryce to launch in it's default state. so far i have not run into that problem since switching that setting. thanks again!