Forum: Photoshop

Subject: im stuck, help please

deza opened this issue on Jul 06, 2003 ยท 5 posts

deza posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 5:46 AM

im a newbie to ps and trying to soften a portrait of my daughter, now i found this on another forum but i get so far then get stuck: {picture}.1.duplicate the layer 2. step to lower 3. gaussian blur lower 4.step to upper layer and eraze parts that need softening ....... and this is where i get stuck i have the two pictures up side by side one has the blur the other has parts erazed. now no.5 says redo lower layer for more or less results? do what with it? and what do i have to do to get the final picture my mind has gone blank so any help please thanks in advance derek

Cookienose posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 9:25 AM

Those are pretty confusing directions. This might be abit easier: 1. duplicate the layer. 2. On the duplicated layer, gaussian blur to about 9.0 (or whatever works best for you). 3. With the duplicated layer, experiment with different blending modes to see what you like best, (probably screen or overlay). Now, if you like the results there, stop. But if you would like certain details to come out more like the original, 4. Take the eraser tool, lower it's opacity to something around 25% or lower. Now on the duplicate layer, erase the areas you would like more detail to show through. Hope that helps.

retrocity posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 10:23 AM

Those are a lot clearer instructions Cookie ;)

Thanks for the mini-tut!

i hope Derek finds it useful, i'm sure others already have.

:)
retrocity

(ps: thanks for saving me the typing ;) )

deza posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 2:27 PM

thanks cookienose im just about to give that a go deza

OrcaDesignStudios posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 2:48 PM

Attached Link: http://3d-cc.com/quagnon/tutorials.html

You might be thinking of the so-caled "Penthouse Blur" which you can find at the URL attached.