Forum: Bryce

Subject: *Offical July Challenge*

Zhann opened this issue on Jul 08, 2003 ยท 84 posts

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:46 AM

This is it, and after careful discussion and deliberation, the challenge is 'The DTE Blues' or 'Zhann's Folly', take your pick, at this point, I don't even know if I'm up to it, but here it is...

-Create and use your own 5 DTE materials in a render, each members DTE materials will have to be made available for download after the Challenge.

-Can't hack the DTE? Use Zhann's pic textures.

-Or, if you can, create and use 5 DTE materials of your own AND Zhann's pic textures.

Subject matter is up to the individual Artist.

Get the images HERE
Get the mini tutorial HERE

and no throwing fruits or vegetables please...:p

Zhann

(I didn't realize picking a subject would be so hard)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

stash0404 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:27 AM

Right then Game On. No idea what id pick if i won (not much chance of that that tho) Cheers for the Mini tut Zhann Stash ;0)

Slakker posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:40 AM

Definitely not gonna do this one...heh

Nick_G posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:44 AM

I don't even know what a DTE Material is. :)

draculaz posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:47 AM

fine. game on.

draculaz posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:48 AM

btw, i hope you have the bandwith for us all downloading that zip file :)

MadDog31 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:48 AM

I'm game. I have to learn the DTE at some point, and being forced to learn it will make it even more appealing. I hope I can muster this. I'm gonna try making my own. Game on! MD

airflamesred posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 10:07 AM

How are we to judge the winner when there is no subject manner? - or am I missing something vitally important here

Ang25 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 10:26 AM

A word to those who have no idea about the DTE, Ask here at the forum and there are lots of people willing to put up screen shots and explainations. Thats how I've learned a lot of stuff. I suspect that judging will be difficult as usual. But in the end most of the time my vote goes to what I find pleasing, not so much how closely it related to the subject matter.

electroglyph posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 10:41 AM

Tried fiddling with Noise Phase filters, picking materials from the dialog. Sometimes it does something, sometimes not. It seems to be completely random. If there is a way to actually learn DTE and anticipate the results I'd like to know about it. Right now I'm sort of painting with a sledge hammer. I am tired of picking rocky hills for my grass and avoiding slopes because I can't change how the material applies. If its possible to learn I'll try it!

brholte posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:19 AM

lol.... I think that this challenge needs to be judged on how well the participants incorporate their textures. Or in other words, who can make a decent image without using presets, or photo textures. I like this because you can make any image you want,,,,anything at all. It's the time you spend learning the DTE, and tweaking your textures to make your image a-okay... Very challenging and the perfect way to learn something in Bryce that you would have never otherwise tried to learn. I'm positive everyone who participates will improve their future images by 100%. Excellent choice for a new CHALLENGE

Sparr posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:20 AM

Wait a second, DTE means Deep Texture Editor...right? Anyway, I don't really understand the challenge....we're just using terrains to do....something....and....thats it? Um...if you say so...

TheBryster posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:26 AM Forum Moderator

Sparr: No...we create textures and apply them to objects....doesn't have to be applied to terrains.........

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

MadDog31 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:44 AM

I've got a decent idea on what I'm doing for this challenge, just gotta figure out how to model it all up. After it's modeled, then I think I'll think about what to texture with the DTE and what to texture with bumps and photos. I think also, in your challenge submission, you have to list what you made w/ the DTE and/or with Zhann's images. I for one know that amazing stuff can be made, AgentSmith made a great metal texture in the DTE that I've used in a couple of pictures (Forgotten Ruins...the metal texture on the light poles are his, just modified to match the pole's specs.) So it's possible everyone, and I agree with brholte...make ANYTHING you want, just incorporate what you learned in the DTE into it...and I think everyone's pics will be improved 100% also! MD

Andini posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:45 AM

"Then the game is on..."

Aldaron posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 12:37 PM

For anyone who truly wishes to learn the DTE I suggest reading Real World Bryce. It explais in detail the formulas, and buttons. As for the noise phase, it's only useful in some situations. If you are talking about the noise filter, bring up the filter then click the little green corner in the upper left (works on noise phase too). Then you'll see a whole bunch of options to use. If you don't know about the DTE and what things do you are going to have a very frustrating time getting what you want out of it.

eelie posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 1:07 PM

Well, considering this is what I've been struggling with on those seashells lately, maybe this'll be just what I need. :o) This challenge is running for, what, three months this time? I figure it'll take that long for me just to run through the combinations of 1 add/average/blend/difference/etc. 2 and see what they do! lol

GROINGRINDER posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 1:44 PM

Damn!! The dreaded and enigmatic DTE. I usually go there with high hopes and leave 6 hrs. later completely destroyed and in need of a tranquilizer. Thank god for digital cameras and texture web sites.

MadDog31 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:18 PM

Groingrinder...I hear you on that one, one reason why I've been using my digi...I like being able to apply my textures in Photoshop and then use the bumps in Bryce. But learning some DTE I think will help me in some situations where I don't exactly NEED to use an outside-bump/texture. I think this will be a positive experience...it's just the fact that my image may take longer to make. Also, I like the idea of altitude-based textures...those are sometimes hard to get in a regular photo texture/mat. (At least getting that effect w/o using the DTE at some point.) MD

derjimi posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:19 PM

Ok, I will press the randomize button in the DTE until it shows something decent (even if it takes hours) and will concentrate on modelling this time. ;) J.

danamo posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:53 PM

Okay,*gulp!*Count me in on this one!

mloates posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 3:54 PM

It's not just a challenge, it's an adventure... Ahh, the fun never ends.

electroglyph posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 5:04 PM

Okay, so it's basically just roll the dice and the random combination wins? where do the images in basic, clouds, bump, psycadelic, etc. come from? Are they real images or just filter settings? How come the user.brt was never implemented so I can't add my own images to the DTE? How do I get ahold of Andrea G. Pessino and what is the CCmF - Universal - Axiom - AGP - Composite File Management System? Talk! I want to know.. I'm ready to kick butt!! I need more tutorials! I need... to stop drinking 6 cups of coffee a DAYYY!!! Sorry, I'm okay now.

Stephen Ray posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 5:36 PM

Excellent challenge, Bryce's procedural textures are by far the most complex procedural textures I've ever work with in a 3D program. Sense the whole idea behind the challenges is to expand our working knowledge of Bryce, this should be a good one.

Stephen Ray

AgentSmith posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 5:37 PM

Lol...that's gonna be a LOT of .mat's available for free after this! Game on, indeed! AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

shadowdragonlord posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 5:50 PM

I will be eating DTE for breakfast for a while, it seems! Great topic, Zhann...

EYECON posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:18 PM

WHAT THE DTE! DANG! and i was one of those that reaaaaaaaly relied on bitmaps when making textures... well what can i say? it'll get me sooner or later... mmmmm maybe i'll make one of those rusty textures and stufffff......

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:32 PM

Ok guys, we're not expecting Doc Mojo materials here, and if 5 is too many then at least 2 good ones, and it's up to 'you' what you put them on, obiviously keep your scene modest (time constraints), HAVE FUN in the DTE, if that means ramdomizing the h*ll out of it, so be it, but pay attention to what happens when you do things, that way you'll know what to expect next time you do it... In answer to the question what are the images that pop up in the boxes in the channels, they are textures from Bryces texture library, a starting point, so to speak... MG, I didn't know half the stuff about the DTE I know now, because everyone started talking, I stayed up an extra 3 hours just to do the mini tut, so at least everyone knows 'where' the Deep Texture Editor is, and how to get there... Migraine, I'm going to my room and hiding in the closet now....

antevark posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:36 PM

YES!! I've already made 3 decent DTE materials! For when the contest's over, I need a decent webspace, though...8^(

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:45 PM

BTW, since I've been a member of the Bryce forum, I've seen it's members take a modest 3d software and do absolutely extraordinary things with it, more than probably the originators of the program thought were possible, you are the most talented group of people on Renderosity, in my opinion, and that's not BS either, I know you are up to this, this is your chosen software, wring every drop out of potential out of it... now I'm going to my room... Zhann

electroglyph posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:55 PM

Attached Link: http://users.pandora.be/walter.vandijck/DTEtutorial1.htm

Too late Zahnn, you let the Genie out of the bottle. For those of you who missed it in the previous thread, the tutorial AgentSmith pointed to is excellent. Here it is again linked.

TheBryster posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 6:58 PM Forum Moderator

To boldly go where no Brycer has gone before..... HEY! Maybe I could use this on the 'Bum & Titty Grader' I never finished before! What a concept, kill two challenges in one go! My ego is gonna love this!

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:24 PM

That tutorial is a great learning tool! and how to save out your material, courtesy rjoo1 'export' option in material editor will send your material out in *.mat format for others to 'import', just remember where you saved it to.

AgentSmith posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:30 PM

Remember also, you can select more than one .mat and save it to a single file on your hard drive.

Vile posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:30 PM

Wow that is so weird I was just thinking of dusting off the DTE for some imaging. Ok so are heavily modified Bryce textures OK? Oh and by the way "All ye newbies listen up cause I'm only gonna say it once! Da search function in the forums works extremely well! I suggest using it B4 asking redundant questions!" Do some of the work your selves then when you get really stuck and cant find the answers post a help wanted. Then even I would be happy to help ya!

bikermouse posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:39 PM

So other than the 5 DTEs, anything goes?

MadDog31 posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:42 PM

Vile...thank you for the good heads up on searching before asking! Biker...I'm thinking so...I'm still going to use photo mats and stuff in mine along with my 5 DTEs...(although I may use more if I get really ambitious..................ok maybe not...heheh) MD

Vile posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:46 PM

Hehe hope I don't offend just an observation and a peave. Ocourse right after I say this I will be posting a real whopper of question, that has been asked about a zillion timesyou just watch me.

Hepcatbrandon posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:54 PM

So do we need to have webspace to post our .MATs in order to enter the challenge, or should I just worry about that later?

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:54 PM

A few tuts including Walter Vandijck's -http://users.pandora.be/walter.vandijck/DTEtutorial1.htm this is also a download http://www.j.b.allen.btinternet.co.uk/fracttut/disfractut.html, good for those using the images http://3dtoday.com/tutorials/2002/December/BryceRS/default.asp, making reptile skin I'll look for more...

bknoh posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:07 PM

Question...I will most likely make my textures, but if I use Zhann's, can I change their color? Diane

AgentSmith posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:21 PM

model imports yes/no? postwork yes/no? AgentSmith

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:33 PM

models/imports = yes postwork = try to keep it minimal changing colors on dl textures = no webspace for posting mats = they will be uplaoded to Bryce's backroom, courtesy of Agent Smith subject of render = your choice

AgentSmith posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:38 PM

Thanks Zhann! Yeah, anyone that goes the DTE route will later just e-mail me the file. (agentsmith@renderosity.com) This info will also be on the Challenge upload area, which will be up in an hour or so. I've got a little picture tutorial somewhere on exporting .mat's out of Bryce and onto your hard drive, I'll find it, post it up. AgentSmith

Zhann posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:44 PM

Well, chosing a challenge has certainly been a learning experience, glad to see everyone stepping up to the plate, and I bet there will be some amazing mats and renders too!

lsstrout posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 9:13 PM

Puts on her bryce .mat camoflauge outfit and ties on her red headband Bring it on! Lin Maybe I can get the darn thing done this time!

Stephen Ray posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 10:19 PM

What does this mean? ( changing colors on dl textures = no ) Not sure what is meant by this, please explain...

Stephen Ray

Vile posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 10:32 PM

Let's see what Dictionary.com says about No 1. Used to express refusal, denial, disbelief, emphasis, or disagreement: No, I'm not going. No, you're wrong. 2. Not at all; not by any degree. Often used with the comparative: no better; no more. 3. Not: whether or no. I think that cleared it up for me. JK lol Does this mean you cannot change colors on Downloaded textures?

antevark posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:33 PM

I think it means that if you choose to download Zhann's texture for the challenge, you're not allowed to change the colours of those textures.

AgentSmith posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:43 PM

Right. From question on post #41

catlin_mc posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 6:53 AM

Zhann you are sooooooooo wicked, but as you know I'm always game for a laugh. So let the challenge roll....................8) Catlin

catlin_mc posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 7:06 AM

Please clarify....................this has to take place in the DTE, you cannot make textures using 2d images? Catlin

bulldawg66 posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 9:05 AM

Well, Im willing to give this one a go...I just wish that the requirment was nil! Nadda! I would really like to see what people can actually do without bringing a bunch of props in from somewhere else for a change. Doug in Houston

derjimi posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 12:05 PM

Dou, we had a "pure Bryce" challenge earlier this year. Or was it last year? Time flies so quick. J.

antevark posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 2:22 PM

That's right, Catlin... Must've been this year, derjimi, I'm pretty sure I remember it, and I wasn't here last year(interested in programming back then- my hobbies change a lot)

Zhann posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 6:21 PM

Catlin, yes everything takes place in the DTE, but if you're unsure of how to go about it checkout any post that says Official..... there's help everywhere. If you are still hesitant, there are textures I'm suppling (see the first post) for you to use any way you like (except for changing their color) above. Actually, I think you would have a real knack for the DTE...give it a shot....

antevark posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 6:36 PM

Yeah, I actually found it fairly intuitive to a certain degree(more than I would've thought, anyway), and I can get things to look more or less how I want, after having practiced.

catlin_mc posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 3:17 AM

I'm just being a wimp Zhann. I've made some nice textures by manipulating some 2d images but I guess all textures should be new for the challenge. OK I'm of to start twiddling dials and sliders and stuff......8) Catlin

Zhann posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 3:40 AM

You'll find after awhile it's adictive, I did, I must have 20 materials, and I've been studing nature photos and trying to get something similar from the DTE, ooo, that's a nice one...;]

antevark posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 4:26 PM

The annoying thing about this is that Bryce doesn't do large specular areas, just a little dot. I was trying to do that unsanded black metal with rainbow specularity, but... Bryce don't do that.... 8^(

Hepcatbrandon posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 6:28 PM

change the specular halo value

catlin_mc posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 6:50 PM

Aye, there's an answer to everything..............lol 8)

FirstBlueMoon posted Thu, 17 July 2003 at 3:13 PM

I was crying until I saw the pandora link to a dte tute above - now I'm going to go home and isolate myself from the rest of society for a day or eight and learn this dang thing!

Rayraz posted Mon, 21 July 2003 at 9:44 AM

Cool. I've got tons of DTE textures I made. Any special kind of textures needed?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

catlin_mc posted Mon, 21 July 2003 at 2:33 PM

As long as they're good ones Rayraz that's all that matters.

billmiles posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 7:19 AM

I thought DTE was a drink related thing when you flew to long I will have to go lock myself in for a week or three and read the tut here goes bm.

Rayraz posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 2:42 PM

Good thing I used the DTE since I first started using bryce years ago. That's 5 years of DTE experience. I've already created 7 textures made 100% in the DTE. A rocky planet texture, a cloudy atmosphere texture, a volume atmosphere texture, a startrek 2 style volume genesis-effect texture (that actually looks really good), a volume energy-wave texture, a starfield and a soft nebula-gas volume. And there's lot's more comming :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

catlin_mc posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 5:30 PM

Wowee Rayraz! your back and hard at work already...........lol 8D I can only think of a couple of others here who are as devoted in time and energy to Bryce and quite mad with it, ie. Ornlu (mad meta man) for one, and Flak (crazy crowd controller) for another. 8) Catlin

AgentSmith posted Tue, 22 July 2003 at 7:26 PM

Attached Link: Time Squad lighting test

Rayraz, I always loved the texture you had on your figure in your "Time Squad lighting test" in your gallery. Cool pic. It's on the Renderosity DVD, btw. Can't wait to see your mats. AgentSmith

Rayraz posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:11 AM

That solves the mystery of what made it onto the DVD. I can put that one in with the free textures. I've got 2 versions of the texture. It's one of those textures that always needs tweaking with mapping and stuff to look perfect.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

AgentSmith posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:14 AM

D'oh! Sorry...didn't mean to spoil anything. AS

Rayraz posted Wed, 23 July 2003 at 2:18 AM

Don't worry about it. Now I don't have to wait for the last 6 or so people to say that the DVD may be sold to the artists her on 'Rosity.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 7:43 AM

What is meant by "keep postwork minimal". Its in the rules. Sorry, this is probably a stupid question. Im new to Renderosity and the whole graphic game :)

TheBryster posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 7:51 AM Forum Moderator

D_Barr: It means if you want to add your name to your piece in Photoshop or PSP and do tiny tweeks that's ok, but if you want to add filters, effects, or major brushwork then that's a no-no.....

Rayraz posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:01 AM

It means postwork is allowed, but if you can use as little as possible you should. So taking a render of a mountain landscape and then drawing 300 trees on it in Photoshop would be a bit to much, but dodging some SFX or adjusting brightness and contrast is allowed. There's no real rules on what 'minimal' is and it's a matter of taste. If the community decides that there's too much postwork to call 'minimal' they will say they think the entry can do with a little less postwork. But usually every entry can enter the contest. I have used some simple compositing in my (maybe still WIP) entry for instance to avoid artefacts where the volume atmosphere and the genesis effect interesect. I rendered the atmosphere seperate and added it as a new layer with adjusted contrast in PSP. Those are minor adjustments.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rayraz posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:02 AM

oops, crosspost. Sorry B

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 8:39 AM

Cheers, I get it. So putting a huge picture of my mother and in the corner a small picture of my entry is out of the question. :)

Rayraz posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 10:07 AM

Unless you made the picture of your mother in bryce :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

D_Barr posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 10:25 AM

good call! :D Iv just ready the mini tutorial, its very good and easy to follow, I have a much better understanding of how DTE works know.

TheBryster posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 4:30 PM Forum Moderator

Sorry! No Mothers or Mother's-in-law allowed....;-)

jasonmit posted Fri, 25 July 2003 at 4:48 PM

Not even if they're babes like Bill's stepmom in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"?

FirstBlueMoon posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 11:07 PM

Learned some things about the dte but not nearly enough - I'm out :o(

Rayraz posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 6:04 AM

FirstBlueMoon, There's some great tut's out there. check the spotlight link in the forum header.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

WindeSpirit posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:07 PM

looks like I got around to looking at this forum to late again. But decided this time to leave a thought since this seems rare to find tutorials on... The animation features of Bryce, it would be a great challenge to for all the artists to incorporate a object or two. just a idea. Good work to ya all on the enteries ;) Deep textures aren't as hard if you play with it every now and then instead of importing every time.