Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: how do you put the addons and stand alones in poser4 ??

bnetta opened this issue on Jul 18, 2003 ยท 5 posts

bnetta posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 9:41 PM

hello all i have just recently gotten the program!ya!! i have been a fan of all your wonderful art here dreaming of the day i can try it!! well the day has come.....i know from surfing here which props and addons i want .....so here's the really big question is there a tut or post or some kind soul out there to tell me what i do with them after i download and unzip them??? pretty please..... thank netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

Marque posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 9:49 PM

Well first of all if the addons are for a product you don't have they will usually not work. Do a search for geep here and you will get his tutorials, he has one that shows where everything should go when you unzip it. I usually unzip what I've downloaded to it's own dir where the zip is, and look to see that it has a runtime and where it is putting everything, that's one good way to learn. Your obj will go into geometry, your cr2's into char and so on. Best way to learn is to open them up and check them out. Also look at your poser directory. If you have a specific problem don't be afraid to ask about it, most everything has been asked before and will be asked again...lol Welcome aboard. Marque

ernyoka1 posted Sat, 19 July 2003 at 7:51 AM

But obj's will not just go anywhere in Geometries though, this is the place where Poser is VERY picky. You won't even get a chance to locate the file if it isn't where Poser expects it. Fortunately most zipfiles nowaday have paths in the zip, meaning that you can just drop it onto your Poser 4 (or 5 dunno which version you've got) directory and it'll unzip to where it should. If your zip files looks like the one above when you open it, you're in luck (esecially coz it's one of mine then ;o) ) but the point is that the path must be present AND START IN RUNTIME. If it starts in something like MyNewThingieRuntime.... you'll have to first extract it to "MyNewThingie and then move the Runtime library to your Poser 4/5 library. Just let it overwrite the existing Runtime, it won't delete anything, just add more to it :o) If you get a file with no path and there are obj files in it, you can easily open the cr2/pp2 with something like Notepad and do a search for .obj. It will tell you where Poser expects the file to be. In some occasions you will then have to manually create that folder. Hope that helped a little. Please do ask again if anything is confusing. Oh and: Welcome to your new addiciton. You too will become one with the Borg...er..Renderosity.

lesbentley posted Sat, 19 July 2003 at 10:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/fileguide_1.html

Ah, I see another victim has fallen into the bottomless pit that is Poser. Welcome! Many of the zip files you download will extract files to the correct folders if the zip is first placed in the Poser folder, and if you have a decompression program that supports this (e.g. Win Zip, Stuffit, etc). Most distributions will contain a readme.txt file that hopefully contains installation instructions. I usually do the same as Marque, and unzip in tempory folder first, to see if I like the places it wants to extract to, if not I then move the files manually. There is some information about where the diffrent file types go at the link above.

bnetta posted Sun, 20 July 2003 at 2:34 PM

thank you all!! i'm defenitly addicted!! hey browsed through the poser folders with my psp and wola!! i found the nude woman4 skin/body! copied it and colored ivy all over it and saved it back to the same floder as the original just under a different name then tryed out the p4woman and replaced her skin texture with the one i did and it worked!!! so i'm also on my way to makeing my own custom ones!! (would this be considered the body tattoo??)

www.oodlesdoodles.com