Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: carrara and compose...

mbaucco opened this issue on Jul 07, 2000 ยท 6 posts

mbaucco posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 10:05 AM

Hello, I am trying to use PhilC's combine tutorial with Carrara nad Compose 1.1. Whenever I export something from Carrara in .obj format and try and read it into compose, nothing shows up, though Compose seems to read the file. Once it is done reading it, none of the objects show up in the "all objects" folder. Are there any weird settings I have to use when importing or exporting from Carrara to make this work? Thanks, Matt Baucco

arcady posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 10:20 AM

Possibly. I had a similar problem getting Carrara morph targets into Morph Target Mirror. I suppose the obj format used in Poser and Carrara is slightly different. Try this: Load your object into poser and export it out again as an obj again. The resave might change those few lines that it needs to see. That worked for me with Morph Target Mirror.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

bloodsong posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 11:00 AM

heya; dunno... but did you name the polygons of the object? if the object has no group names, compose imports it with a blank line as the group... it's hard (but not impossible) to click on it and get the thing to type in a new name... but that's weird.

mbaucco posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for the help, that solved one problem, but created a new one. Here is a more detailed explanation: I imported the p4 nude man obj file into poser, then exported it as an obj file. I then exported the baseball cap as an object and opened them in Carrara with auto-scaling and auto-position off. After arranging the hat so it was on his head, I exported the hat as hat.obj, then opened it in poser with centering off and re-exported it as an obj file. Next, I opened the nude man object file from my runtime folder in compose and read in the hat object file I made. I merged the head and hat, then wrote a new file called hatman.obj. I checked the object file to make sure the names were okay, then made a hatman.cr2, based on the p4 nude male.cr2, replacing the paths with the new path for my object. Now the hat and head are combined, but the hat sits in the middle of his head instead of on the top of his head where I put it. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I don't know if it is a setting in Carrara or poser or compose or whether the moon is too close to the earth or something. If I had hair, I would be tearing it out right now. Thanks, Matt Baucco

bloodsong posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 8:57 AM

heya; why did you open the hat obj in poser and re-export it? come to think of it, why don't you combine the hat and figure in carrera and save it as hatman.obj, without messing with compose? to keep the materials settings? hmm, that would be a problem. (ray dream doesn't save material settings, so i'm gonna guess carrara doesn't either.) try skipping the poser part, and just merge the two objects in compose, after you save from carrara.

mbaucco posted Mon, 10 July 2000 at 9:22 AM

Hello, I actually skipped the Carrara part and have solved the problem. I discovered that importing the .obj files into poser with only "make polymesh normals consistent turned on" will allow you to position and export the clothing item without any weiredness. Just import your base object file (p4 nude man/woman) then place the prop or clothing item and export that. Then merge them in compose and you have a figure with clothes that don't wig out too badly. I could make a tutorial if anyone thinks this would be useful to know. Thanks for all your help, Matt Baucco